The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I’ve seen this in years, first saw it around 80-81 at a second run theatre on Sargent Ave in Winnipeg, that I forget the name of. I would have owned the album a little earlier than that, but not first run, I was 2 or 3 years from being handed a ripped cassette of Houses of the Holy, which changed my world. I just found it way up high on an oldies movie channel, and tuned in.

-skip to the start of the concert, maybe stop in for the Bonham moments, the rest is crap.
-what I would give to be on stage with a Les Paul, a Marshall Major, and a delay for a few hours, especially with a decent rhythm section and a week’s advance warning to get in shape.
-JPJ is just a monster bass player, which I’ve only come to appreciate in recent years. Jimmy might not be on total fire in this show, but JPJ was
-always loved Bonham best among drummers, and Moon, and Mitchell.
-I played Dazed and Confused over and over. And over, LP, cassette, cd. It’s weird but OK listening to a slightly different version.
-screw off with LP’s being too heavy. Jimmy is a 135 lb junkie, if he can do it, so can you.
-yuck I see why the movie is 2 stars/4 The editing sux, there’s good enough footage there.
-fk me Bonham could end a song, why can I never work with a drummer who can take control lol.
-perfect tone: Jimmy hits a big open chord followed by some arpeggiation (?) after the ‘dream sequence’ in No Quarter, when they start to rocking, after all the quiet part. Yuge, which spell check wanted to change to Yule. Season’s Greetings.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
-I can sit thru Moby Dick, and with visual it is amazing. Dunno that I would listen through going down the road.
-the Theramin segment in Whole Lotta Love is great.
-too much of Robert’s johnson, at least for my taste.
-lots of close ups of Page’s main axe, missing nibs?
-bass tone is great too. Old Jazz thru I think an Acoustic 360 maybe? Flats?
-I am not the fashion police, but JPJ’s page boy cut was nastybad.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
9,309 Posts
We used to go see it and you could stay there and watch it two or three times. Did that a few times because there really wasn’t much like it to go and see at a theatre Never much into zep but it was a good flick.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I remember my high school playing the movie in the auditorium on a Friday evening. Would have been around 1976.

Reactions: TubeStack

·
Registered
882 Posts
I actually haven't seen it since the 90s but have been meaning to rewatch it. (Also have it on vinyl but have never even listened to it. I prefer the real albums, I guess.)

I've also kind of “cancelled“ Page in my own head over the Lori Maddox stuff. Not listening much to Zep anymore, wonder if that will hold or not.

·
Premium Member
13,896 Posts
My favourite folk-rock band.
My favourite blues-rock band.
My favourite rock'n'roll band.
My favourite cover band.
My favourite ambient band.

I love Jethro Tull, Rory Gallagher, et al, and some even did particular things better, but LZ had it all.

Blueberry Hill, ffs, should have been on TSRTS.

·
Registered
354 Posts
perfect tone: Jimmy hits a big open chord followed by some arpeggiation (?) after the ‘dream sequence’ in No Quarter, when they start to rocking, after all the quiet part
That version of No Quarter is peak Led Zeppelin for me. Even if it is heavily edited, the solo is sublime and the interaction between the three is crazy good.
I actually haven't seen it since the 90s but have been meaning to rewatch it. (Also have it on vinyl but have never even listened to it. I prefer the real albums, I guess.)

I've also kind of “cancelled“ Page in my own head over the Lori Maddox stuff. Not listening much to Zep anymore, wonder if that will hold or not.
Yeah. I don’t listen to Zep much more either. I haven’t yet thrown out my records, as I did with Cosby, but I definitely don’t enjoy them as much as I used to.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh my they cancelled Page! I bet we all have grandmothers 7, 8, maybe 20 generations back married at 14. I had a 17 year old girlfriend at 14. I didn't throw out her records, I still love her. That happens when you play guitar in a rock band.

Page must be crying in his beer over being cancelled by these two. Bahahaha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh my they cancelled Page! I bet we all have grandmothers 7, 8, maybe 20 generations back married at 14. I had a 17 year old girlfriend at 14. I didn't throw out her records, I still love her. That happens when you play guitar in a rock band.

Page doesn’t care about me. But he does care about being cancelled by Plant who knows that a tour with Page would be a drag, drag, drag, draaaaaa-ag. ;)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

It wasn't 7 generations ago. And it wasn't right.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The breakdown in whole Lotta love is worth the price of admission. That whole section where they jam is just awesome. On the other hand, if I ever have to listen to whole Lotta love, dazed and confused, stair way to heaven, or any of the other “Classic rock radio go to’s“ it will be too soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That version of No Quarter is peak Led Zeppelin for me. Even if it is heavily edited, the solo is sublime and the interaction between the three is crazy good.
oh man ... bugs me that every RI/RM always cuts out the opening of Jimmy's solo ... that opening is sex, especially against Bonzo's snare & hats (to me, that snare is a beautiful & fluffy slap in the face)

Reactions: keto
1 - 15 of 15 Posts