The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Washer-Dryer Combos

868 views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Diablo 
#1 ·
Our washer just died and the dryer is making unhappy noises. Anyone buy anything recently that can be recommended?
Front load washer preferred.

#3 ·
I recently bought a lower buck samsung set. They clean and dry real well while playing you a tune when the loads are done. The only problem I found is the moisture never really dries in the washing machine drum and gaskets so I end up with a mildew smell that ends up contaminating all of our clothes and towels if not kept it check. Its a real pain because every once in a while if I don't run a rinse load with just bleach, I'll go to throw some clean clothes (usually while in a rush) and it smells disgusting.

Anybody else find this problem with their machines?

#13 ·
We just bought a Maytag a few months ago. It works fine but don't expect any of the brands to last like they did years ago. Even Maytag's aren't what they used to be.

We replaced out front load one with a top load. The front load washer that came with our house sounded like a jet engine when it went into spin mode. I would check the quietness rating before I bought a front load unit. The Maytag we bought is one of the quietest we've ever had.

#9 ·
My in-depth research has me thinking Speed Queen is the best and therefore the best. I would recommend them only based on someone else's internet review and a flashy website, also they have won the coveted Women's Choice Award three years running,... big time stuff.

#11 · (Edited)
We just bought a washer/dryer. Yes it washes the clothes and spins the water out and then the dryer is activated. It's pretty cool but they're expensive. But when you look at the price compared to buying a separate washer and dryer it's very comparable. It's a front loader.

We bought it for the cottage because of the limited space. It's nice to not have to lug home laundry from the cottage.

It's made by Bosch. I do believe it is the 500 series.

#27 ·
I was shopping a year ago and someone told me top loaders struggled to do as good a job these days. Everyone is trying to be green and environmental, so they want to claim using as little water as possible. In front loaders the clothes always get sloshed through that low water level. Some of the new top loaders don't have a central tower thingy to cycle clothes up and down like the old ones did, and the clothes don't all pass through the low water level as easy.

When I was looking, Samsung was getting hammered for machines that literally danced around on the floor while the were running. LG as considered one of the best. But that was a year ago, things have probably changed. Me? I just found a work-around for my washer problem and continue to run my 25 year old, built-like=a-brick-shithouse washer and dryer, at least until something fatal happens to one of them.

#33 ·
Our current brand happens to be Frigidaire and about 6 years old, maybe things have changed over time or maybe we got a bad batch - all the appliances are Frigidaire and they all make uncomfortable noises.
My wife, bless her heart, ended up making the decision on this one and went Samsung after a number of her co-workers had reasonable experiences with the brand.
Also turns out, there isn't overwhelming availability at the moment due to the ridiculous black Friday sales coming up. Oh you'd like that combo? We can have that in around March or so.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

#34 ·
Our current brand happens to be Frigidaire and about 6 years old, maybe things have changed over time or maybe we got a bad batch - all the appliances are Frigidaire and they all make uncomfortable noises.
My wife, bless her heart, ended up making the decision on this one and went Samsung after a number of her co-workers had reasonable experiences with the brand.
Also turns out, there isn't overwhelming availability at the moment due to the ridiculous black Friday sales coming up. Oh you'd like that combo? We can have that in around March or so.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
buddy, you figured out the secret to marriage. I left this decision up to my wife as well. I figure she uses it most, she'd better like it. and if she doesn't, she cant point fingers at me. all I did was make random unbiased comments based on specs and reviews.
TBh, I was skeptical to go back to a top load washer, but she was pretty set on it. So far its been fine. Only criticism id have when compared to front load, is it *seems* like the front load spun a little more moisture out of the clothes. But its negligible if at all. but there are obviously more positives in the top loads favor also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.