The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our washer just died and the dryer is making unhappy noises. Anyone buy anything recently that can be recommended?
Front load washer preferred.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
My Frigidaire set are humming along after 12 years.
Both front loaders.

They don't get the workout here as they would with a full family, but no issues yet.
Not a current buy, but they stood the test of time so far.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I recently bought a lower buck samsung set. They clean and dry real well while playing you a tune when the loads are done. The only problem I found is the moisture never really dries in the washing machine drum and gaskets so I end up with a mildew smell that ends up contaminating all of our clothes and towels if not kept it check. Its a real pain because every once in a while if I don't run a rinse load with just bleach, I'll go to throw some clean clothes (usually while in a rush) and it smells disgusting.

Anybody else find this problem with their machines?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I recently bought a lower buck samsung set. They clean and dry real well while playing you a tune when the loads are done. The only problem I found is the moisture never really dries in the washing machine drum and gaskets so I end up with a mildew smell that ends up contaminating all of our clothes and towels if not kept it check. Its a real pain because every once in a while if I don't run a rinse load with just bleach, I'll go to throw some clean clothes (usually while in a rush) and it smells disgusting.

Anybody else find this problem with their machines?
Yep

You need to stay on top of it with the bleach.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Our washer just died and the dryer is making unhappy noises. Anyone buy anything recently that can be recommended?
Front load washer preferred.
My in-depth research has me thinking Speed Queen is the best and therefore the best. I would recommend them only based on someone else's internet review and a flashy website, also they have won the coveted Women's Choice Award three years running,... big time stuff.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
We just bought a washer/dryer. Yes it washes the clothes and spins the water out and then the dryer is activated. It's pretty cool but they're expensive. But when you look at the price compared to buying a separate washer and dryer it's very comparable. It's a front loader.

We bought it for the cottage because of the limited space. It's nice to not have to lug home laundry from the cottage.

It's made by Bosch. I do believe it is the 500 series.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
We just bought a washer/dryer. Yes it washes the clothes and spins the water out and then the dryer is activated. It's pretty cool but they're really expensive.

We bought it for the cottage because of the limited space. It's nice to not have to lug home laundry from the cottage.
whats the brand? is it a Speed Queen?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Maytag. nuff said.
We just bought a Maytag a few months ago. It works fine but don't expect any of the brands to last like they did years ago. Even Maytag's aren't what they used to be.

We replaced out front load one with a top load. The front load washer that came with our house sounded like a jet engine when it went into spin mode. I would check the quietness rating before I bought a front load unit. The Maytag we bought is one of the quietest we've ever had.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Maytag. nuff said.
Not ours. Had To fix 3 different issues in 5 years on the washer before we just cut our losses and tossed it. I won't ever buy another maytag. This was the washer. The dryer is fine.... but IME dryers last 3x as long as washers. Now last week my built in maytag microwave turntable won't spin. Fuck maytag.

Fwiw, we went back to top load. They've improved a lot over the years. That said, a ore advanced one costs about the same as front load. But it's nice to not have to worry about mouldy door gaskets etc.

The one thing I would recommend is a gas dryer. Way faster, less to go wrong, and prob cheaper energy use.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Do the same thing, no problems.
likewise.

One suggestion though You might want to consider a sanitize feature. I find some of my work tee's can get stinky quickly when I begin to sweat. I don't think front loaders use enough hot water to kill bacteria. I know we could use a detergent with bleach, but we prefer natural soaps and cleaners. I scoffed at the feature before, but there might be something to it

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
top load, hey.? if you guys like those, well...., consider these.. super hot right now with the hipsters and babushkas from here to the other side of the Ural Mountains, plus, June Cleaver stamp of approval

I found one of those buried under junk while cleaning out my grandmother's basement a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts