The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Warming up a SS amp

2K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  marcos 
#1 ·
Looking to 'warm' up my sound with my Peavey Chorus amp. It has 2 Peavey stock 8 in. speakers in it that resemble Eminence type. Would a speaker replacement be better than getting a pre-amp. Anyone have experience trying this out.
Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
If you're set on keeping it as simple as possible, a way to give it some boom, would be to make a full back for it, close up the back. Might be worth a try. Then if not satisfied, experiment by drilling ports in the back. Start with a 2" hole, then two, then three, then ...

#8 ·
You seem to want to keep the same format. A cheap no hassle experiment would consist in making a full back for the amp. That will add some boom to it. If unsatisfied with the result, drill a 2" hole in the new back cover, that would air it and let some of the boominess out. Still not your cup of tea ? Drill a second port, then a third, then ...

#12 ·
Fender Mustang amps are great. Plus- I like turtles.
Mustang amps are good but not sure they will stand up to all the travelling that i do. I have had about 10 Peavey amps through the years and they are well built and take a lot of abuse.
Ah, makes sense. What about finding a 112 and putting a Neo speaker in it?
I also have the Backstage 50 model witch i converted to a 12 in from a 10 in. Males a difference but may look at the Neo speaker. Thanks for the tip

#14 ·
Safe to assume it's a Backstage Chorus?

If so, tell me what you want more or less of, and I'll see if I can pin down some simple and suitable mods.

I know folks will recommend tube amps. And yes, they can sound phenomenal. But a small solid-state stereo amp, with stereo chorus, that is easy on the back, and delivers most of the sounds you want and need, can provide its own pleasures. Certainly the Backstage Chorus 208 has a very flexible set of EQ controls.

I have two smaller SS Fender amps, one of them also a 2 x 8" stereo chorus job, albeit with a wee bit less wattage than the Peavey amp. It's certainly not a JC-120, but stereo chorus sounds nice. I also have a Champion 110, which is essentially a Frontman 25R. I modded the overdrive channel on both of them, and like them a lot more with the changes. Conceivably, some mods could be identified that make the overdrive sounds more to your liking. I'm assuming that's what's nagging at you.

#15 ·
It is indeed a Backstage Chorus Mark. I have been using it in stereo for a few gigs with my Backstage 50 and it could need a bit more warmth if that makes sense. I use a Barber Gain changer pedal in the mix with a reverb and compressor for the 'country' thing that i do. I am still tinkering with it and trying to dial it in and find a suitable sound. I also agree that a tube amp is great but they just dont stand up night after night to the gigging and moving around that i do (mostly tube issues).

#18 ·
Good advice from others above. This place is something else!

2X8? www.loudspeakers.ca had a nice 8" replacement guitar speaker a few years ago and they may still have. I used a few in small amps that belonged to students to ease the icepick tone and they generally warmed it up too. No idea what the manufacturer was, though I seem to remember they were initially a bit of an experiment for the dealer so they may have been custom made. Maybe worth an enquiry.

An aside...my SS amp is a Traynor DG30 with a 12" Cannibis Rex and a few onboard FX. Might be my favourite SS amp since...I don't know...maybe the Jazz Chorus.

#19 ·
So you can find the service manual, with schematic and parts layout, here: Elektrotanya for electronics experts (give it a moment for the download link to show up)

Referring to the schematic, I see many points for intervention. So again, I ask my question: what do you want it to do less or more of? For instance, is there one of the EQ controls that comes close to what you need it to do, but just doesn't go far enough? Is there som aspect of the overdrive sound you want a little more of?

#20 ·
So you can find the service manual, with schematic and parts layout, here: Elektrotanya for electronics experts (give it a moment for the download link to show up)

Referring to the schematic, I see many points for intervention. So again, I ask my question: what do you want it to do less or more of? For instance, is there one of the EQ controls that comes close to what you need it to do, but just doesn't go far enough? Is there some aspect of the overdrive sound you want a little more of?
I want it to sound warmer. The EQ is fine and it does work for me.
I have a sound in my head that i have been trying to get for ever (like so many guitarists). The Barber Gain Changer gives me enough gain for my style of music.Maybe i am expecting too much out of a SS amp.

#24 ·
Yes they can sound brittle at high volume. Not so bad at lower volumes. Have you tried setting the amp low and using a mic on the amp.
Yes, most of the time with our country trio i am miced up. It sounds o.k. in the hall but it lacks warmth on stage. Like i said, i think the fact that i am using a Tele on most gigs could be part of the problem.

#25 ·
'Warmth' is a hard thing to put a technical finger on. I think a speaker replacement would get you something different for sure. And I would guess a couple of 8" speakers wouldn't break the bank. Try and find something known for rolled-off highs, I would think?

The other option, when I think warmth/tubes, would possibly be a good tube preamp pedal, like a Kingsley. Use it to get a bit of your tone and then use the Peavey and it's chorus to cleanly amp that up. Not cheap, but it would handle the road better, because it's smaller and lighter and easy to pack nicely.

Reactions: marcos
#27 ·
Sounds trite but get a tube amp.

There's a 55 watt Bugera on Kijiji for $275.

I started with a solid state amp went tube and never looked back. There just no comparison.

Depends on the amp. B.B. King, Ronnie Montrose, and John Fogerty all used SS amps and sounded great.

Even some cheaper ones can sound good. I had a Vox Pathfinder 15R that I traded in at my local L&M. Their guitar tech, who is a friend of mine, ended up with it (a mutual friend saw it and told him it was there, not realizing it had been mine) and he uses it when testing guitars he has fixed/setup/whatever. He runs it through a 2x12 and it sounds amazing. I would defy anyone to discern that he is using a SS amp. Granted, he is a killer player so that certainly factors in and I sure as hell never made that amp sound anywhere near as good as he does.

#28 ·
Sorry I can't help but laugh out loud at getting good a preamp pedal to warm up a shitty amp. I mean the pedal would cost double what the amp is worth, why not get a better amp?
I guess you couldn't be bothered to read the original post? Talk about laughing out loud ................... o_O

#32 ·
I also agree with that statement. I always liked the Roland 80's style of amps.Great tone to those and loud. Peavey amps are built like tanks and can take a lot of abuse. As i stated befo
Marcos,
I'm going to suggest sticking a .022uf-.033uf capacitor in parallel with the quartet of clipping diodes (CR4-CR7) that are situated just behind the "Post" control. That will roll off top end...gently...above 1.8khz (with .033) to 2.7khz (with .022). As near as I can tell, this should have no impact on clean tone, though admittedly, the schematic is a little hard to follow.

I'm home pretty well all day Saturday. If you wanted to pop me a PM and bring your amp by, we can try out my "solution" and see if it really is one.
Hey Mark, that sounds great but this weekend is not too good for me. Gigging Saturday night, BBQ at daughters place also. Sunday at Vanier Legion. As soon as things settle down will give you a shout buddy. Thank you

#30 ·
Marcos,
I'm going to suggest sticking a .022uf-.033uf capacitor in parallel with the quartet of clipping diodes (CR4-CR7) that are situated just behind the "Post" control. That will roll off top end...gently...above 1.8khz (with .033) to 2.7khz (with .022). As near as I can tell, this should have no impact on clean tone, though admittedly, the schematic is a little hard to follow.

I'm home pretty well all day Saturday. If you wanted to pop me a PM and bring your amp by, we can try out my "solution" and see if it really is one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.