The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I set my controls to 6-7 for bass, 5 for mids and 3-4 for treble.
So, plenty of room left and the EQ to tweak.

That extension cab made all the difference to my ears, the Silver Bell covers all the bottom in the closed cab.

I like them enough to buy one a second time after I missed the one I sold. Incredible value for size and tone and with the tone stack switching, it covers a fair amount of ground (not high gain but definitely clean to classic rock). I wish the tone stack switching was on a footswitch.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.
I got the amp last night. I think I got a great deal on it at $300!

I am really really loving the sounds I'm getting out of it so far. The USA mode can be dialed in to a great warm clean tone with lots of sparkle. When switching to the Brit mode with the same settings it adds a hair more breakup, and gives a much fatter and very dynamic tone. As you turn the gain up, it starts to beak up when you dig into the strings. The higher up the gain goes it starts to sound like what I imagine a cranked lower gain marshall would sound like (without having ever heard one. I saw someone on another forum compared it to the sound of a cranked 18 - watt Plexi.) It cleans up beautifully with the volume knob on the guitar.I find the sweet spot on the gain control to be about 1:00 on either voicing for on the edge of breakup tones. I have yet to experiment much with the Pure mode but it definitely gives a very raw sound with a bit more volume. I think the reverb sounds beautiful, no complaints with it being digital and I know it won't clank around when I move the amp, start to buzz, or stop working. It seems to be really solidly built, and is quite light as far as tube amps go in my experience.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and advice!

Great little amp indeed! I sometimes run mine into a Radial Headbone and toggle between that and and Orange Dark Terror using the same speaker in the YGL1. It’s nice for max versatility in a small package. More recently, I’ve been playing the YGL1 in stereo with a Fender Supersonic 60, which it seems to compliment quite well. As mentioned, the digital reverb is a little unconvincing, and I’ve sometimes pined for a little more breakup at lower levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread got me looking at a YGL1 to compare with my Blues Jr. I used to have a YGL2 which I loved but it was too heavy to tote around. I decided to rent a YGL1 and A/B it with my Blues Jr. At livingroom volume without a band they run pretty neck and neck to me tonally which is to say they're both great! I played an SG and a Strat through each and found wonderful clean with a bit of breakup on both. The reverb on the BJ is better however the YGL1 isn't really bad. I would imagine in a band setting the differences will be hard to notice. I'll find out this weekend. Basically I don't think you can go wrong either way with these amps.
@reub enjoy your new amp, $300 is a fantastic deal!

Excellent! At $300, use it, enjoy it, if it’s not for you, flip it! You might even make profit.
Glad you have found that the gain stage /guitar volume work well in your rig.

Sent from my other brain.

Reactions: reub
Great little amp indeed! I sometimes run mine into a Radial Headbone and toggle between that and and Orange Dark Terror using the same speaker in the YGL1. It’s nice for max versatility in a small package. More recently, I’ve been playing the YGL1 in stereo with a Fender Supersonic 60, which it seems to compliment quite well. As mentioned, the digital reverb is a little unconvincing, and I’ve sometimes pined for a little more breakup at lower levels.
Thanks for the idea. I just picked a Headbone used today. I don't have an immediate use for it but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I got it home and thought about all the wiring and realized I was unlikely to take it out with cab and a couple of heads, except in very rare circumstances. But using it with a combo and 1 head is a great idea. I'd love to switch between, say, my LSS and a Marshall or Vox-type head. Still alot of wiring, but it opens up new avenues. Again, thanks for the idea. HNG^%$

I like them
I've never owned one--but if I ever decide to get a smaller tube amp--I'd consider it
It has some nice usable tones for me.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.