The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...first proper post here!

I've been playing for...a long time...but have had a career as a drummer and bassist mostly and have recently switched to guitar semi-full-time.

I'm seeking what would be, in my head, the perfect amp. I don't think it exists, but I'd like to know what you've come up with, and also, what your dream amp might be!

So...I want a three channel amp.

Channel 1: Clean - somewhere between a Bandmaster and a Twin
Channel 2: Moderate Drive - American mid-gain...BB King/John Mayer-ish
Channel 3: High(er) Gain - Think EVH crunch channel

30-50 watts
Independent gain/volume, 3-band EQ on each channel
Effects loop
Channel and effects loop switching via momentary switch and/or MIDI

The idea is to have a Fenderish amp that can have three levels of drive at the tap of a switch. It needs to be able to accept pedals in front and in the loop, and also be controllable by MIDI rigs. The clean channel should break up a little with a boost pedal in front of it, the second channel should be a versatile low-gain overdrive channel, and the third should be the typical crunch channel. 2/3 could become lead channels with pedal boosts or other effects.

Does it exist? Not that I've been able to find. Could it?

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Thats how most brands market their heads.

If you can live with 2ch and a boost, the evh 5153 has midi control and the fender clean.

Also budget is very important.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The Boogie Mark V is a three channel amp with some great sonic possibilities in it.
Head or 112 combo.
The wattage is 90 but it also has power scaling and can be set to 45 or 10 watts and each channel has it's own power scaling.
You can set the clean channel to 90 for maximum headroom and the others to whatever works best for your situation.
I have the 35 watt combo version but it's only a two channel and it is an amazingly versatile amp.

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
The perfect amp? I believe guitar forums have created an evil cabal, ensuring that will never happen. What would we talk about?

Three channels certainly limits your choices. The Mesa TC or Mark V have to be in the running. A 2 channel amp with some pedals would open up the playing field a lot.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Hell a 2 channel amp and the volume knob open up a lot.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I agree with pickslide

The PT100se is the closest thing I have had to actually nailing great authentic Fender/ Marshall tones in one amp.
Loves pedals too.
The main difference between it and exactly what your looking for is
Ch1 is fender voiced.
Ch 2 and 3 are Marshall.

Don’t get me wrong.. there are many great amps out there with killer clean and distortion channels but they usually bring their own flavour.
Ie Diezel , Bogner, Wizard, Mesa....

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
It's just as (or more) affordable to buy a marshall and a fender than it is to buy a $3k amp that does both well. But its more space and harder to move.

Signed,

Twin/jcm800 owner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts