The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to buy a cheap Strat, I Prefer maple nitrous finish neck.
Are the squire strats any good at all? Or should I just look at Mexican Strats. Since I can't really afford a USA one.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GuitarsCanada said:
You may be able to get into a used US made Strat for what you would pay for a new MIM. Might want to sniff around a bit.
I have been looking for about mouth now. It definitely will be used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the long and mcquade rental section I have seen some great strat deals here in Calgary. Bargain finder and evil bay are also great places for a deal.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Personally, I don't like squire...

I'd look at getting a used MIM Strat, should be no more than $400-500.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
LaRSin said:
I'm looking to buy a cheap Strat, I Prefer maple nitrous finish neck.
Are the squire strats any good at all? Or should I just look at Mexican Strats. Since I can't really afford a USA one.

If it were me in the market I'd try to find a good deal on an old Japanese strat from the mid 80s. They were great guitars. I bought one back in 1985 but let it go because I preferred to play Teles. I then picked up a nice one about 5 years ago for $200. I ended up selling it due to lack of playing it, but wished I had kept it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
guitarman2 said:
If it were me in the market I'd try to find a good deal on an old Japanese strat from the mid 80s. They were great guitars. I bought one back in 1985 but let it go because I preferred to play Teles. I then picked up a nice one about 5 years ago for $200. I ended up selling it due to lack of playing it, but wished I had kept it.
+1 unfortunatly it's pretty hard to snag one up for $200 these days unless it's an unusual model. I just grabbed one for $525 US and it is beat up and needed TLC, it's now my favorite guitar:bow:

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
SCREEM said:
+1 unfortunatly it's pretty hard to snag one up for $200 these days unless it's an unusual model. I just grabbed one for $525 US and it is beat up and needed TLC, it's now my favorite guitar:bow:
Yeah that figures. The one I had a few years ago was in great shape. I knew I should have kept it. I liked it better than alot of American Standards I've played.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how do you find any information on made in mexico (MIM) Strats. Do they have a web site ?

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I've seen MIM strats for $350-375 on Craigslist. Once there was one for $200. Didn't last long/

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Robert1950 said:
I've seen MIM strats for $350-375 on Craigslist. Once there was one for $200. Didn't last long/
I was trying to find information such as what's kind of wood in the body and neck. There's all kind's of different model's and want to see what's different about each one . There's one even with a battery (I think it's a mid range boost).

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey LaRSin....
there are many good strats out there...american,japan,mexico...etc..
but what may be more important than just owning a strat..is finding one that
calls out your name...so to speak...and when you test drive it,,,you will feel the vibe or mojo as some would say....in the particular guitar...

as with most manufacturers you will find a few duds..but a little time and patience will pay off in a guitar you will cherish for your lifetime....
I waited a long time for my first american strat...since I couldnt find one
that suited me...perfectly..
but when I finally did ....it was easier to layout some bigger money on it..

good luck in your search....try out as many as you can....

Auger

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
auger said:
..is finding one that calls out your name...so to speak...and when you test drive it,,,you will feel the vibe or mojo as some would say....in the particular guitar...
Oh, how true. When I was looking a year ago, I went through some 25 or so. All seemed different. Good ones, mediocre ones, duds. I still kick myself for not getting the one that really sang to me - a used G&L Legacy. A couple have come close - a MIM at 12th Fret and a Hamer Daytona at Capsule, but I'm in no rush.

I also found out the the store has a lot to do with it. The ones at Steve's were not well set up at all. If there was any mojo in one of those axes, it wasn't going to come out. At 12th Fret, most every guitar well set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts