The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with it.

Plug it in, hit the switch and it works.

Hit the switch again right away a few times to toggle on and off and it does that.

Then play a song with it on all the way through works fine.

But now, if I hit the switch to off it will go to bypass OK but won't come back on if I hit the switch again.

At that point what happens is that if I hit the switch the light will flash once but the pedal won't engage.

If I turn everything off for 5 minutes it will work as described above and stop if I go to off and then try to bring it back on.

Battery is recent not much time on it.

Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hard to say, but I would troubleshoot by trying a new battery, and trying it with an AC adapter, and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
24,658 Posts
I've had stompswitches that behaved erratically like that. Sometimes they'd work and sometimes not. Though it's not always the case, I've found in many instances it results from too much heat being applied during installation of the switch. That causes the grease inside the switch to liquify and flow where it shouldn't, forming an insulating film over the contacts inside the switch. Sometimes they make contact and sometimes they don't.

One CAN gingerly take the stompswitch apart, clean the grease off and reassemble it (shown in the video below). Of course, if the pedal is still under warranty,or you don't trust your tech skills, don't do it. But it exists as a viable and cost-free intervention.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I was wondering about power but don't have an adapter; will try a new battery but this one is pretty new and I just been playing through it for an hour no problem with it on all the time until I tried to switch in and out and then it don't come back so probably not the battery.

Will follow up with the manufacturer but was wondering if there was some kind of easy fix or just general comment / advice.

If it was a car I'd be looking for a heat/ expansion issue that breaks a circuit or something but it works no problem until the switch gets triggered and that problem kicks out about one minute after starting it up if I hit the switch a few times but seems to want to go all night as long as the switch is left alone. Saw the vid earlier about the grease thing and I could take it apart no problem but it's pretty new so might throw it back to the manufacture let them deal with it.

New Fender amp shit the bed too - maybe providence is telling me to stick with acoustic .. lol

·
Registered
24,658 Posts
Another possibility is a bad electrolytic cap. There is a 220uf cap on the power line. But if it was a bad cap, one would expect that the pedal might initially work when powered up but crap out fairly quickly, rather than be intermittent.

Send it to Brian. Tell him Mark Hammer said "Hi".

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent switch ,I had this problem with both Catalinbread & Wampler a couple years ago , Both were under warranty so I didn't fix it myself , but took a hell of a long time to get it back ... over 2 months ( Wampler being longer Almost started forum post about it ) when one of those blue bastard switches was the problem .

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like an intermittent switch ,I had this problem with both Catalinbread & Wampler a couple years ago , Both were under warranty so I didn't fix it myself , but took a hell of a long time to get it back ... over 2 months ( Wampler being longer Almost started forum post about it ) when one of those blue bastard switches was the problem .
Send it to Brian. Tell him Mark Hammer said "Hi".
Yeah, seems like that's where its going. It won't even kick in now at all but I'll try a new battery tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
If a new battery doesn't fix the problem, contact Wampler.

They will try to troubleshoot the problem with you. If they determine that the pedal needs to be returned for repairs, take advantage of their 5 year parts and labor warranty which includes return shipping.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So looks like it was the battery. It was pretty much new but I bought it at a petrocan when I was in a rush. Might have been too old because it wasn’t even making 8 volts. Swapped in a used battery that was in another pedal for quite awhile and it’s been working fine so far.

Thanks for the responses .

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or it could be the beavis and butthead gas station selling batteries that were 50 years old.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Well, like the old trouble shooting motto goes. Keep it simple and check the power source first. Glad it was just a battery Wardo.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
@mhammer I've got a switch that has a similar problem, except that the switch just works "some of the time". When it's on, it stays on (and I usually just leave it). If I turn it off, it usually takes a few clicks before it stays on again. Sometimes when I try to turn it on, the signal is reduced a lot, and then I just click it a few more times and it works again.

Does this sound like your problem where the grease needs to be cleaned off? Is there some way I can just spray some DeoxIT in there without pulling the whole switch apart? I'm not too keen on taking it all apart as it isn't just a simple stomp switch (there's some kind of circuit board attached to the bottom). It's an old Fuchs Plush Drive.

·
Registered
24,658 Posts
It sounds like "that" switch problem, but I doubt whether a schpritz of anything would address the grease. It's intentionally thick. Deoxit is for removing tarnish and accumulated dirt, not thick stuff.

The switch CAN be disassembled without desoldering it from the board. Whether you feel up to it is another thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts