The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
That's very sad.

I really and truly love the early Steely Dan records, though they pretty much lost me with Aja. Regardless, great musicians and artists, all. Becker could really play, no poser he.

Listening to Can't Buy A Thrill now.

R.I.P.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
F*ck! He's too young. They are at the top of my list of all the bands. This is really shocking.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks for so many great tunes...You will be remembered.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Always loved that band. There were so many guitarists passing through it that I honestly can't tell if some of the solos or rhythm work I liked was his. But they had an identifiable sound and vision, and he was always part of it, so I guess I must have liked whatever he did that wasn't identifiably Carleton, Baxter, Randall, Herrington, or the others. Very dry sense of humour if you listen to any of their concerts.

Still, way too young.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Sad. I guess the years reeled him in.

I was never sure who I was listening to when I heard SD, but it was always of the highest quality, both the playing and production.

RIP Mr. Becker. You leave a hell of a legacy of material.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sad news...I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was ill. Steely Dan is one of all my alltime fav bands. I consider the album "Aja"a masterpiece.

RIP Walter

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
The man was less than 3 months older than me. Deaths at this age make my innards squirm. Too young

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
damn....I gained a huge appreciation for Steely Dan, the past few years

RIP

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
One of my fav bands over the years. Seen them in 93' 96' 08' and 2011. When I seen them in 08' @Rama it took me 15 minutes to realize I was looking at Becker, he was absolutely huge. He actually sat for the majority of that concert. In 2011 he looked much better. But I think he was dealing with health issues for some time. One thing you could always count on with Steely Dan was a top notch band, top notch musicians and tight. There were times Fagen was struggling with his voice and it's pretty much shot now but the band was always perfect. They were perfectionists of the highest order when touring. We have that music though and forever grateful.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I also caught them a handful of times and would consider them one of my go-to bands for listening pleasure. Truly a cornerstone to my personal soundtrack of adventures had and good times shared. Rest easy Walter.

8/23/14 Sony Centre.

Walter 1.JPG

Walter 2 8 23 14.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts