The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a few slabs of kiln-dried wood yesterday 1.75" thick, pretty cheap too. Solid Walnut, big enough for 2 bodies and a plank of spalted Elm, not quite wide enough, so being resawed and bookmatched together... maybe 3 guitar tops from that when done. $45CAD a slab... not shabby.

Anyone work with Elm before? Hoping to do an archtop and not sure if Elm is hard, or splinters, or anything about it. It's heavy, I noticed that. Doesn't seem commonly used... poor tone maybe? Hard to work with? Looking for advice before I start... would hate to get it all cut and start curving the top and have it all spinter or just can't scrape it at all.

Walnut, I was thinking of using for a Tele and a Strat body.

Would Walnut make a good back? like if doing a Les Paul, replacing the mahogany with Walnut? May be able to snag a thinner plank and use with the Elm to make a Les Paul (Seriph actually). Walnut any good for necks?

I seemed to pick 2 woods, that there isn't tonnes of info about guitar wise.

When the Spalted Elm is done, It's probably going to be about .75" thick... not sure how thick a Les Paul top is at the highest point... 0.625" I think so not far off. Just need a plank of Walnut around 1.375".

Maybe if Walnut is decent for a neck... use the full plank for a 1-piece back with neck, no glue or bolts? Then glue the Spalted Elm on top and rosewood fretboard?

Just looking for some feedback... whats a good or bad idea... maybe avoid some headaches before I start.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Bought a few slabs of kiln-dried wood yesterday 1.75" thick, pretty cheap too. Solid Walnut, big enough for 2 bodies and a plank of spalted Elm, not quite wide enough, so being resawed and bookmatched together... maybe 3 guitar tops from that when done. $45CAD a slab... not shabby.

Anyone work with Elm before? Hoping to do an archtop and not sure if Elm is hard, or splinters, or anything about it. It's heavy, I noticed that. Doesn't seem commonly used... poor tone maybe? Hard to work with? Looking for advice before I start... would hate to get it all cut and start curving the top and have it all spinter or just can't scrape it at all.

Walnut, I was thinking of using for a Tele and a Strat body.

Would Walnut make a good back? like if doing a Les Paul, replacing the mahogany with Walnut? May be able to snag a thinner plank and use with the Elm to make a Les Paul (Seriph actually). Walnut any good for necks?

I seemed to pick 2 woods, that there isn't tonnes of info about guitar wise.

When the Spalted Elm is done, It's probably going to be about .75" thick... not sure how thick a Les Paul top is at the highest point... 0.625" I think so not far off. Just need a plank of Walnut around 1.375".

Maybe if Walnut is decent for a neck... use the full plank for a 1-piece back with neck, no glue or bolts? Then glue the Spalted Elm on top and rosewood fretboard?

Just looking for some feedback... whats a good or bad idea... maybe avoid some headaches before I start.
Elm is super heavy, super hard, has wild interlocking grain and is generally difficult to work with.

It wouldn't be appropriate for a guitar body. If you loved the grain of it you could slice it thin and use it for a top. I think you would want it thinner than 5/8".
Because of the interlocking grain it might be very difficult to carve an lp type top.
Depending on how you're planning on carving it.

Walnut should be fine for a neck, just make sure its quarter sawn.

Nathan

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it's being cut thinner now.

Wasn't quite wide enough for a body, so getting it cut in half (probably about 3/4" after blade thickness) and I'll bookmatch it together. Still a bit thick but best they could do. Small hobby mill... didn't know people had them as a hobby... but also why it's cheap I guess.

Brought the Walnut home on the weekend... too many options... no idea where to start! :D

Tele I think, seems the easiest to get started with and I never had one.

If not quarter sawn, would taking 3 pieces and gluing together work the same way? Reverse the grain direction of the middle piece... or use maple in the centre?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to find some locals that do that.... unfortunately everyone I know has no hobbies at all, wouldn't know anything about woodworking. I think of everyone I know, I'm the only that actually owns tools. :D

Few wood related places around... should be able to find someone.

Too bad not thicker... like 1.25"... I think that's what SG's are? Haven't had one of those in a long time. First guitar was actually a Raven SG. I have a kijiji alert setup in case someone sells one... nostalgia and all.

I don't think quite wide enough for an Ibanez Destroyer II, I had one of those as well... sheet will be long enough for 2-3 guitars, not sure about width... was just 1-2" shy of being wide enough for a body so after cut and bookmatched, I imagine it'll be wide enough for a Destroyer or Flying V... but I got time to figure that stuff out.

I think, first build will be a Tele from the Walnut, tung oil finish. Will 'relic' the parts as well. Hoping to get all nickel and brass. Hate chrome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts