The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Yo.
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else think Walmart is going to steeply decline soon? My entire family buys way more crap from Amazon than at Walmart. Why drive to a Walmart when you can order the same stuff (and in most cases, better stuff) and get it shipped free to your home in about 2-3 days? And I don't even have Prime.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I'm surprised walmarts online market hasn't done more to compete with Amazon.

I think Walmart will be fine for a long while. Many of the older generation, and stubborn young folk like myself, are reluctant to shop online unless absolutely essential.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Walmart has become a necessity to many Canadians and will continue to do so as the wealth ratio continues to shift. Amazon does not always have the best prices and ordering requires planning and waiting for delivery. I do think Amazon has a much greater spectrum, including quality choices however. I prefer it to walmart 100:1

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
My wife did her entire Christmas shopping online using retailers with a free shipping and return policy. No Walmart or Amazon ( to my knowledge).

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
We buy groceries at Walmart, I can't see myself ordering milk on Amazon. The odd time I've ordered something on Amazon (other than books), it's taken 6 weeks to arrive and it's come directly from China. I'd rather get that kind of stuff on eBay where you actually know where it's being shipped from.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think a lot of people don't know how to use Amazon.

On Amazon, other people sell stuff from all parts of the world but a lot and I mean a lot of stuff is sold by Amazon, shipped by Amazon from Amazon.

This stuff arrives in days and has free shipping over $35.

Just change your search to "Sold by Amazon".

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
I avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible, shopping at places like Canadian Tire and local business instead. Starting to use Amazon more & more, I find I don't mind the 2 to 3 days wait for a purchase to arrive. Like Guncho said, you really have to watch the supplier and delivery times on Amazon.ca . A lot of the stuff on there ships from China in 4 to 6 weeks rather than a few days.

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
We have avoided Walmart like the plague in this house, been a few years since we shopped at one. Amazon on the other hand has become common, have a vacuum and a blender sitting in checkout but haven't hit the button, kinda nervous since it's a bigger item.

·
Premium Member
17,892 Posts
Both Walmart and Amazon are fine because most of their business is from US customers.

·
Premium Member
25,624 Posts
We buy groceries at Walmart, I can't see myself ordering milk on Amazon.
And that's the tipping point. No one is going to buy groceries online (at least not anything that needs to be kept at some specific temperature), unless delivery is assured to be near instantaneous. And if they have to go to the store to get the food, then they will shop for other things while they're there. That's why Walmart and Target added food, and why Loblaws added non-food stuff to their stores.

·
Premium Member
25,624 Posts
Both Walmart and Amazon are fine because most of their business is from US customers.
A former co-worker used to work for Walmart in St. Louis, ansd had the "pleasure" of meeting Bud Walton at one point. Walton wore/carried a bunch of watches on him, each set to different time zones where they had stores.

Perhaps U.S. citizens buy more, per capita, but with stores located in Brazil, India, and China, I suspect they are planning on most of their business coming from abroad. Our Locations
Gotta wonder, though, will Chinese customers think "Meh, cheap Chinese crap", or will they think "Hey, locally-sourced stuff!"?

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
And that's the tipping point. No one is going to buy groceries online (at least not anything that needs to be kept at some specific temperature), unless delivery is assured to be near instantaneous.
You're wrong. Grocery Gateway, a division of Longo's, has been delivering groceries for years and their service is not instantaneous. You place an order and it is delivered the next day (or a later date of your choosing). You can even reserve specific delivery times.

Online Shopping & Delivery in Toronto - Grocery Gateway

·
Premium Member
25,624 Posts
In neighbourhoods where there are lots of seniors, Loblaws also does grocery delivery, and pretty much any dépanneur in Montreal has had some kid on a bike with a huge basket delivering for generations.

But the idea of normally doing one's grocery shopping via delivery (unless one is somehow confined to one's residence), the way that people have taken to normally ordering in pizza or Chinese food, or normally getting their music from iTunes or similar, is not about to sweep the nation by storm any time soon. If every tomato and apple arrived, flawless, juicy, perfectly ripe, unbruised, then maybe. And if all people are going to buy is a crate of bathroom tissue or 24-pack of Ensure, then probably. If all meat consumed is going to be frozen burgers or microwaveable chicken wings, and delivery is near-instantaneous, maybe. But there is more than enough customers who want to SEE what they're getting, and also want to comparison shop. And lotsa folks like their ice cream, and like it firm, rather than runny.

So yeah, grocery delivery exists everywhere, and has been around for a long time, but it is unlikely to be the default. That's why Walmart brought in groceries; because they knew they could count on people to come to the store. That's also why they let folks park their RV on the lot. If you're virtually living there, then Walmart becomes your default store for groceries and incidentals.

·
Yo.
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
For me, Walmart has become obsolete - almost. I might pop in to buy toiletries if no other store has it on sale, which is highly unlikely. Groceries? Nah. Call me a snob if you will but most of their fresh food is mediocre.

Sure, Walmart is still packed at times, but my point is that I think Walmart has reached their peak. Generalization, but I think this to be true: younger folks just aren't interested in wandering aisles when you can search for so many items and add it to your cart on a single website. So then who's going to replace the folks who like to physically shop? Where will your future customers come from? (Talking about Walmart as a whole, not stores that carry personal items like clothes or makeup or custom made items)

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
WalMart will be fine but I am buying more and more from Amazon and other online retailers. My wife buys a fair amount of her clothing online. If she doesn't like it she can return it for free so it's a pretty good deal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts