The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of wahs do you guys think are good. im getting a boss V-wah for christmas because it works great on my guitar and my bass but which wahs do other people use that are good?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey, I would love to hear everyone weigh in on this, even if you have posted about wahs in other threads before.
My cry-baby is dead, so I am wondering as well, what wah can be all that you dreamed (adjustable, not one-sucking, analog sound)
What is the best wah possible, and can you mod or get it modded by someone a basic cry-baby or boss to make it that good?

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
These days I use the modeled wahs in my Tonelab LE. They sound great to me.

I've had a Morley (smooth but a bit too wide a range for my tastes) and several Dunlops and Voxes. I did a BYOC mod to a Dunlop (supposedly to bring it to Clyde McCoy specs and true bypass).

Seemed to work fine. It's sitting under the seat in my van where it's likely to remain (the Tonelab works just fine).

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have one of those Italian CryBaby's from the '60's, got it for $25 in the 80's, it rocks man, the Morley DWV I have is no match but is a good vol pedal.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I've been a Fulltone Clyde user for at least 6-7 years but the switch just died in mine. I have a Pro Analog Supa Quack on order but who knows when I will get it... another long waiting list I've heard.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a tremonti power wah (morley) which I actually like for regular wah stuff and it has the optical switch so it's on when you move it so you can wah a note and get off, but you can't leave it on.

My main wah which is always on my pedal board is the Chicago Iron Parachute Wah. It can be a regular wah at the top of it's throw or it can do some crazy phaser wah volume stuff when the entire throw is used. It also has a really throaty almost harp like tones over other areas of the throw or just left open at different places. Try it before you buy it because it's expensive and not traditional, but I love it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a dunlop cry baby... stock, it sucks. I am looking for some mods or options. Here are its problems:

- sweep is not wide enough
- it sucks tone a bit when on and makes my tone thin
- it seems a tad screetchy when all the way down and metallic.

In short, it annoys me. I like to do the slow Sweep Shenker style but it is really bugging me these days. So lets talk about crybaby mods and any other good value wahs out there in this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have a dunlop cry baby... stock, it sucks. I am looking for some mods or options. Here are its problems:

In short, it annoys me. I like to do the slow Sweep Shenker style but it is really bugging me these days. So lets talk about crybaby mods and any other good value wahs out there in this thread.
Area 51 is supposed to make good wahs and mod kits... I've never tried one myself though.

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_Code=cat002

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

My cry-baby annoys me too. I have to do something. Actually, I really do because it is broke now too. I found something I bookmarked several months ago before I even had a wah or knew anything about electronics or using a soldering iron. I think I will take a look at it again and see if there is anything valuable:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

But seriously, can a cry-baby be made into a real nice wah, or should I look to save money for something crazy-expensive instead? Who has modded their cry-baby with great success?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Vox 847, easily modded compared to the crybaby and they sound good stock.
I found a page on the net about modding a 847 to the 846 spec's, did the mods and it sounds great. Easily modded for true bypass which will eliminate any tone sucking.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My cry-baby annoys me too. I have to do something. Actually, I really do because it is broke now too. I found something I bookmarked several months ago before I even had a wah or knew anything about electronics or using a soldering iron. I think I will take a look at it again and see if there is anything valuable:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...edl/wahped.htm

But seriously, can a cry-baby be made into a real nice wah, or should I look to save money for something crazy-expensive instead? Who has modded their cry-baby with great success?
We are in the same boat.. I am going to see what Greg on this board has by way of modded ones but am interested if anyone else has modded theirs with success. These cry baby's do just that.. they whine and cry! :sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ya, I've been looking at Greg's page as well (solidgoldfx) and trying to figure out if that is the way I want to go. I was thinking about stage 2.
One of the things with mine is that I got it used off ebay and it looks like it was taken to some place called Fuzzorama and modded. The inductor is yellow, so I'm wondering if maybe it was given a fasel and maybe a true bypass. I know that it loses a lot of tone as soon as it is switched on though. (well, since something is now wrong with it, it loses all tone when switched on and just makes eerie wind-blowing sounds)

Anyways, I guess I should be emailing Greg for more information on his options. I'm not sure if he does repairs too or not though. Maybe we can invite him to this topic and he can give his thoughts and opinions on whether there is salvation for cry-babies. I personally feel that there must be hope.
I was afraid to talk to Greg yet, just in case I decided to go the DIY way. I wouldn't want anyone's feelings to be hurt or for them to take it personally if my addiction to solder fumes overwhelms me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ya, I've been looking at Greg's page as well (solidgoldfx) and trying to figure out if that is the way I want to go. I was thinking about stage 2.
One of the things with mine is that I got it used off ebay and it looks like it was taken to some place called Fuzzorama and modded. The inductor is yellow, so I'm wondering if maybe it was given a fasel and maybe a true bypass. I know that it loses a lot of tone as soon as it is switched on though. (well, since something is now wrong with it, it loses all tone when switched on and just makes eerie wind-blowing sounds)

Anyways, I guess I should be emailing Greg for more information on his options. I'm not sure if he does repairs too or not though. Maybe we can invite him to this topic and he can give his thoughts and opinions on whether there is salvation for cry-babies. I personally feel that there must be hope.
I was afraid to talk to Greg yet, just in case I decided to go the DIY way. I wouldn't want anyone's feelings to be hurt or for them to take it personally if my addiction to solder fumes overwhelms me.
I do repairs pretty much for free when modding pedals providing the problem has to do with whats being modded....

Feel free to send me a picture of whats inside your wah. Whether you decide to have me perform the mods or if you choose to mod the wah yourself, i'll be more than happy to let you know what mods have been done to your wah so far.

The possibilities are endless when looking at a crybaby. IMO it is one of the pedals with the most potential and can be endlessly tweaked....especially since the stock ones sound really really bad! Its about finidng the right components and settings to suit your needs and gear. Long story short, there is salvation, do not give up on your crybabies!

Greg

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Feel free to send me a picture of whats inside your wah. Whether you decide to have me perform the mods or if you choose to mod the wah yourself, i'll be more than happy to let you know what mods have been done to your wah so far.
Greg
Ok Greg, I'll try to get a hold of camera in the next day and upload pictures. The you can tell me my options and give quotes. Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use the wah models on my vetta . They sound ok to me , and I don't use wah a lot .
I also have a crybaby from hell , which sounds good but I don't use it anymore . You can shape the sound a lot with all the knobs, but I bought it before knowing what I was doing , and never really worked with it .

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've got two crybabys (both that I modded) that I use most of the time, I've also got an Ibanez WH-10 which is also a pretty great wah, but the casing is pretty weak, and I have an old Royal Fuzz/Wah pedal that is pretty cool too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts