The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guy's use? I have been looking at the Teese models, but they just seem to be modded vox/dunlop wah's, if thats the case i will just grab the basic crybaby and mod the hell out of it, lots of info available on modding them. How about other types of wah's? (morley,budda) how do they compare?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I owned a Tesse Picture Wah and it was amazing! Expensive though, and since I didn't use wah that much . . .

Wahs are really one areas where I think the boutique stuff REALLY outshines the mass manufactured stuff. That said, if you have the skills to mod you can probably put something together just as good for cheap.

TG

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CocoTone said:
V847 with bypass switch, and a couple of resistors swapped out for a touch more gain and bottom. For the amount I use a wah, it kicks ass, and sounds great.

CT.
I got one of these coming, $91 shipped off ebay, I'm going to do the same mods as you Coco. I will also try the volume pedal mod, you just need to add a mini toggle to turn the wah effect off, I may as well add another switch to to the imput so i dont have to unplugge the lead cord all the time to save the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wahs wahs

I just scored,,,,well i`m still waiting for it to come in the mail!! Its one of those Classic CryBaby with Fasel. Picked it up for 75$ American, anyone one tried one of these and did you like it.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I really like and use the Budda wha. Does what I need very well. It records great too. I had a Teese and it did not last long. I have also had the Vox Clyde McCoy reissue and it was just okay. I have an old Cry Baby (late 60's) that is the best IMHO. But it runs off batteries and that doesnt cut it on my pedal board. Also tone sucking when not in use, and noisy, but when engaged....Still Raining, Still Dreaming.....Wha Nirvana.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Try the George Dennis Wah-Switch Pedal. I've had it for close to 10 years now. It has a great sound, very quiet, uses optics control meaning no pots so it's never scratchy and has true bypass as well.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a vox 847 which has been modded and it sounds great. I also have two old thomas organ crybabies, one is the california TDK inductor model and the other is the chicago stack of dime inductor model. I have a home built wah that uses both a red and a yellow fasel. The home built allows for inductor selection or to series them which is quite fat. It also uses the dunlop idea of selectable sweep caps. I am now in the middle of building another one that uses the yellow fasel and selectable sweep caps with a few other new mods I found so it should be interesting to hear what it sounds like. Heres another mod which has a good sound and that is to wire a cap (.01 or .02) across the inductor resistor adds to the vocal quality. All these pedals are TB'd .

·
Registered
26 Posts
PaulS said:
I have a vox 847 which has been modded and it sounds great. I also have two old thomas organ crybabies, one is the california TDK inductor model and the other is the chicago stack of dime inductor model. I have a home built wah that uses both a red and a yellow fasel. The home built allows for inductor selection or to series them which is quite fat. It also uses the dunlop idea of selectable sweep caps. I am now in the middle of building another one that uses the yellow fasel and selectable sweep caps with a few other new mods I found so it should be interesting to hear what it sounds like. Heres another mod which has a good sound and that is to wire a cap (.01 or .02) across the inductor resistor adds to the vocal quality. All these pedals are TB'd .

Show us how you do it PaulS!! Your a wealth of knowledge it seems when it comes to wha`s, hell i never knew there were so many brands of wha makers, i would have shopped around.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It is a little too long winded for here but if you go out and search for wah mods then put them all together you will find that with all makes there is the basic wah circuit and each have added there own twist to it. I agree with the vox it was a nice pedal to work on and there were very nice results.
The older crybabies are close to what the vox is but with older components which by the way was one of the mods to the vox, replacing resistors, capacitors with better quality items. The new crybabies are a bitch to work on I'd rather gut them and start over, everying is on a circuit board and TB becomes a little more work. Also the dunlop inductors suck with the exception of the reissued fasels. When I get a chance I post picks of my wah collection. Later....

·
Registered
26 Posts
PaulS said:
It is a little too long winded for here but if you go out and search for wah mods then put them all together you will find that with all makes there is the basic wah circuit and each have added there own twist to it. I agree with the vox it was a nice pedal to work on and there were very nice results.
The older crybabies are close to what the vox is but with older components which by the way was one of the mods to the vox, replacing resistors, capacitors with better quality items. The new crybabies are a bitch to work on I'd rather gut them and start over, everying is on a circuit board and TB becomes a little more work. Also the dunlop inductors suck with the exception of the reissued fasels. When I get a chance I post picks of my wah collection. Later....

cool, can`t wait.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to wah's in general and am looking to buy my first one, what sort of things should i be looking for in a good wah?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I finaly recieved my Vox 847 at work this morning after almost a month of waiting. I got it on ebay with a buy it now of $69 USD, it came to $91 CAD to the door. I could not wait to mod the thing, so before even trying it, I drove over to Ted's (Guitarpartscanada.com) and got a 3PDT switch like this one: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-1561.html

and performed the true bypass mod....I can't say it sounds better than before because I didn't even try it before doing it:D Ted was very helpfull in showing me how to use the switch and knows his stuff.

The wah sounds great, It's a little honky but I will try some voicing mods, and a led, thanx to the switch Ted suggested. maybe also the volume pedal mod in the off position.

I think I got a great deal the pedal is new and still had the plastic film on it, the only thing that may have been the reason the guy sold it is because the pedal would not stay in position, it just fell to full treble position. I just tightened the friction strap and it's all good.

I will post mods as I complete them, and give my opinion on them.

Mods are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html

pic of pedal with 3PDT switch:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts