The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I modded my V847 to true bypass with a Carling 316DPDT switch. Wah sounds much better now but....it is much louder when I kick it on. Major volume boost. I've read some of the wah mod pages and people have suggested changing an "output resistor??" but I'm not too clear on which one or what value it should be changed to. Again, when I kick on my V847 TB Wah there is a significant volume boost which I want to get rid of. If anyone can help me out with this technical issue that would be great. Thanks in advance.

:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It is the input resistor that can change that. What value is in there now ? It should be labelled R1. That's strange because in most cases the TB leaves you looking to increase the pedal volume, usually by decreasing R1. There is another resistor off of Q1 which on my board was labelled R8 what value is it?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the input resistor that can change that. What value is in there now ? It should be labelled R1. That's strange because in most cases the TB leaves you looking to increase the pedal volume, usually by decreasing R1. There is another resistor off of Q1 which on my board was labelled R8 what value is it?
I decided to double check my complaint because I haven't really used the wah since the mod. Uh uhm...My mistake. You were right the volume decreases slightly and the sound thins out a bit.

I had tested the wah with another pedal I modded. It was the other pedal that had a significant boost when switching from diodes to LED distortion. In any event the resistor values are as follows: R1 is 68k and R8 is 510 Ohm.

I have a bit of time on my hands and wanted to catch up on my "repairs/mods/upgrades". Still relatively new to it but it is addictive.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PaulS: I did the mods, sounds pretty good. Volume is pretty good now. A slight, slight boost in volume when I kick it on. I think I may change the pot though. There doesn't seem to be that much sweep with the standard pot. Bottom line is it sounds way better now with TB and those two resistor changes. Thanks.

I have a boss style AC Jack that I want to throw in the Wah as well. I've done some googling on the subject but can't find much as far as that goes except for some people talking about possibly having a Cap of unknown value somewhere to act as a buffer or something?????

If anyone has added an AC Jack to their wah, could you please let me know how to do it? Thanks

:bow:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I tried it once with not much success, creates a noise, maybe the cap is the answer I'll have to review my notes....
As for the pot, have you played with the rack and pinion position on the pot, it can take a while but you may find the sweet spot. To do this just loosen the rack that rotates the pot and tweak the pot in either direction by one or two positions that set the rack back into the pinion and then check your sweep.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give that a try as well. Don't get me wrong, the wah sounds great, I just thought that there would be more of a sweep. To be honest, I'm just starting to play around with using a wah. Not much wah wah experience here.

Before I do anymore adjusting of my wah I have to put together a couple of BYOC's that I got in the mail today - 250+ and the Large Beaver!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
BYOC make some nice kits, let us know what you think of the ones you put together. Not to worry about the wah, I've been tweaking and adjusting mine for a long time, finally got something I like... Good luck on the kits....

·
Registered
53 Posts
There a lot you can do to increase the range of a stock Vox/Dunlop.

Transistors, switch height, bumpstops, inductors, pots, sweep caps, Q, Gain, Mids and bass response and surrounding effects all come into play.

as for the 2.1mm dc in, never had any problems providing its properly filtered when using a good quality adaptor.

Greg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yea I noticed using a couple different supplies the change in noise, they appear to be more sensitive to that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts