The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our older son got himself a Vive VR headset and invited my wife and I over to try it out today.

Boy oh boy, 3-D virtual reality has come a long way from the days of Wolfenstein and Doom. Exremely well-implemented, I have to say. The environments are like higher-res versions of the old Myst and Riven games, and there is absolutely none of the nausea-inducing effects one used to get with 90's VR. When you turn around, you get none of the is-that-me-moving-or-is-it-everything-around-me dizziness.

Not cheap, though. My son is running a GTX780 video card. He apologized for the resolution but noted that the next step up in resolution was a card that went for around $950...when it's on sale. He's forgiven.

I freaked my wife out with a bit of mischief. One of the home-screen environments has lovely butterflies that will light on your hand if you hold it out. When she did so and a butterfly landed, I reached out and lightly touched her hand with my fingertips. :rolleyes:

When she went to try out the downhill skiing, she started to panic and needed to turn it off. I laughed, but when it came my turn, I whipped off that headset faster than you can say the word "headset". A ittle TOO realistic and immersive, Maybe if we had a preliminary view of the mountain we were on and where things went, plus a better sense of how to use the hand controllers, it would have been less intimidating. But when you can't see beyond a VERY realistic edge of a mountain, and have no idea how to make things stop, it can be pretty darn anxiety-provoking.

I took on a Godzilla-like role in a city where one could lift up buildings and throw them, as WWI bi-planes strafed you and came close enough to destroy mid-air. For some reason, the background soundtrack kept playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and while there was much screaming in the soundtrack, on-screen the citizens walked around like nothing was happening. Weird contrast, but fun game. A beachball-sized sandbag toss game was more my speed, and very realistic in the physics. I also enjoyed tossing a stick for a robot dog to fetch on a mountain-top.

Having said that, I can see where these things would be fantastic for relaxation-training. The audio landscape is as immersive and persuasive as the visual one. For those who have a hard time closing their eyes and imagining a summer day in a quiet meadow, you can look out and see and hear one.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
I want one. How do you go about buying one?

Are there crappy versions and better versions etcetera?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Our older son got himself a Vive VR headset and invited my wife and I over to try it out today.

When she went to try out the downhill skiing, she started to panic and needed to turn it off. I laughed, but when it came my turn, I whipped off that headset faster than you can say the word "headset". A ittle TOO realistic and immersive, Maybe if we had a preliminary view of the mountain we were on and where things went, plus a better sense of how to use the hand controllers, it would have been less intimidating. But when you can't see beyond a VERY realistic edge of a mountain, and have no idea how to make things stop, it can be pretty darn anxiety-provoking.
I must say, that appeals. Maybe I could ski all year round.:cool:

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the resolution card goes into that unit?
Well, as I understand it, the video card required to provide 360-degree-by-360-degee immersive graphics at resolutions able to capture the wind blowing through the trees in realistic detail, is....well, pretty high-end. And keep in mind that the immersive 3-D experience also requires that all of this is done in stereo, so that each eye sees a slightly different image. That's why it's a headset. In fact there is an adjustment for inter-ocular distance, so that the two images align properly. Think of it like a moving full-surround Viewmaster.

As for skiing year round, I would imagine such a setup could support that. I've never skied in my life, except for the 30 seconds I had the headset on, but my son tells me that the accelerometer/tilt sensors allow for shifts in one's posture to redirect the skis, stop, slow you down, and all other normal manouvers. I obviously can't attest to how well it does this, but at least it tries. And the chalet has a nice warm fire. You can also adjust the angle of the sun such that the shadows and lighting of the slopes can be modified. Even if one doesn't go down the slopes, the view from the mountain top is pretty nice. Reminded me of Jasper.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Yeah, video card as in for your computer. Little over a grand for top model, and often out of stock as bitcoin miners use them. You need a modern specced and fairly high end computer, vid card probably won’t go in an older comp as they change the motherboard slots every couple years.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
I can't wait for VR to replace physical activity. I can say I went down a virtual slope and burned virtual fat but later complain about why I'm still so fat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have used a Oculous Rift for 3 years for Iracing. It is amazing how accurate it is getting now to real life. There is a Moon vid using real footage that freaks people out on the reality of it.

Gtx 970 barely runs it

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm just spec'ing a new puter and am considering VR. I see some MoBo's claim they can run VR direct from their board via USB, but I'm hoping to pick up a 1070 ti/1080 ti (Video card) on Boxing day. Should be plenty of poop.

If anyone has any advice feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Yeah, video card as in for your computer. Little over a grand for top model, and often out of stock as bitcoin miners use them. You need a modern specced and fairly high end computer, vid card probably won’t go in an older comp as they change the motherboard slots every couple years.
For those prices, I can do a lot of real reality rather than fake reality. I guess it depends on what you're into but sitting or standing in the house when I can be outside just doesn't appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
17,190 Posts
I want one. How do you go about buying one?

Are there crappy versions and better versions etcetera?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
You can get VR for a PS4 (pro is 4k). Not sure how good it is but we got a ps4 pro on sale using points at shoppers. $270 off, dont mind if I do.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
You can get VR for a PS4 (pro is 4k). Not sure how good it is but we got a ps4 pro on sale using points at shoppers. $270 off, dont mind if I do.
I'm going to research it a bit. I'm going to see if I can get my Brother-in-Law to buy me one for christmas, haha.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
We have a VR arcade here in Regina. Its pretty cool. I found the skiing game gave me motion sickness but I enjoyed the Fruit Ninja game and zombie shooting games. It was so immersive. With the zombie game, you would go up to a table with a pistol on it and reach out to pick it up. It seemed so realistic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts