The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
I have a couple. An AC30HWH and an old Berkley SS amp and cab. The Handwired is a great sounding amp, but I don't know how much it sounds like a vintage JMI model. I dunno, it just sounds too "refined" or something - not the raw tone you get from a cranked vintage one. I never get to play it at that kind of volume anyways so maybe that's what I'm missing. Also, I've only used it with a 2x12 loaded with V30's. I've never played it through a pair of Cele Blues which I suppose is a big part of the AC30 tone too. The Berkley sounds pretty good for a Solid State amp, but it hasn't been used for years. I used to have an AC50 too.

Pete

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
This little puppy belongs to a friend in Edmonton. 60-something AC-10, 2 - 10" speakers.
It really starts to breathe when cranked, and it is surprisingly loud.

It's really something to plug in and crank an amp of this vintage.

Reactions: GuitarsCanada

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've got me a AC30CC1.. its amazing, thats all i have to say..

Sadly, its not always the best amp for the job... but I'd like to think it is.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I have the new AC30BM. No toys. Just turn it on and go. Wonderful amp. LOUD... it really needs to be on a stage somewhere and not in my basement. But I am not ready to give it up just yet.
That's the issue I have with the AC 30. I have a CC2 with blues, and I really like the sound, but I can only use it when I'm playing out (and sometimes its too loud for clubs). It doesn't really start to breathe until the master is a 12 o clock, at which point the neighbors are calling...95% of the playing I do needs a smaller amp. Its a pretty deceptive 30 watter.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I've got an AC15 reissue. It came with the Bulldog speaker but after hearing so much about the Celestion blue I ponied up and got the blue speaker for it. I remember playing the amp with the original speaker and then playing it right after switching in the blue and being very happy with the result. The change over was a lot of money but I'm very glad I did it and would do it again. It really did make a difference.
What I like most about the amp is the crunch sound. I use it a lot with my Les Paul and when I can turn it up it just has such a wonderful overdrive I could just noodle away for hours. The reverb is ok...adds a nice ambience...but the tremolo is very good. One of the best I've played.
The only gripe I've got with it is it does sound a bit small sometimes. It is only 15 watts and a 1-12. I've been on the lookout for an AC30 (handwired, Brian May, or TBX) to go with it.
You can't have too many Vox's...:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have an AC30cc2, it sounds really good...have since put a red fang in there along with the original wharfedale

very versatile, good sounding amp. the master volume works really well...haven't done an A/B with an original, would love to try a real one out & compare notes

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a '62/'63 JMI AC30TB w/original blues and a '95 Korg AC30TBX.
The JMI is just what you'd expect, very 3D and fat.
I was right on the edge of jumping on a BM AC30 when I got the opportunity to pick up the JMI.
GC: I thought the Brian May was sensational, although very loud, as all AC30's are. May own one eventually yet.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a Vox AC30CC1 with Weber Bluedog, a 1965 Vox Pacemaker, Vox AD30VT with Celestion Vintage 30, Vox AC15TB2 with blue bulldogs, and on the smaller side a Vox Pathfinder 15R. Can you tell i love Vox?
Nothing beats the sound of the AC30 and AC15. I find them to be very comparable with the AC30CC1's half power switch engaged. However the AC15TB2 really cant hold its own for loud cleans compared to the AC30. I almost threw all my overdrive pedals out when i heard the AC30 and AC15 fully cranked on the top boost channel for the first time. Nothing...and i mean nothing compares to the overdrive of a nicely cranked AC15 and AC30.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a '91 preKorg ac30 with Blues that I completely rebuilt. Slightly underfiltered and with better caps (OD's) in the audio path.....it sounds and records fabulously with slightly more low end and a wider dynamic range...it's all "vox" and some have said it reminded them of a Matchless. I'm debating adding power scaling as it can fry my brain when pushed into blissfull distortion.

Andy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the AD 30VT. Nice little amp, the effects are fairly realistic and adjustable. A line out for recording would have been nice, and the stock speaker came out faster tha you can say 'China', but it was fairly useful until I discovered tubes. Now it is very very dusty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
vox da-15

I bought my first electric guitar & amp last September. I purchased a Vox da-15 modelling amp to complement my Yamaha Pacifica. :rockon2:

Since I'm new to guitar and have broad musical tastes, I wanted something versatile. I also play in my apartment, so a tube amp was out of the question (too loud).

On balance, I'm very happy with the da-15. It does give a broad variety of tones, from clean to blues to metal. I also appreciate the intro to a variety of effects through the built-in effects. It is enough to get me started, in any event.

I do, however, drool over the more expensive and loud tube amps in the guitar shops. I've been looking more closely at the adxxvt series. I'm considering upgrading to an ad15vt or an ad30vt -- probably the ad30vt, because it should be loud enough to play with others and be heard over a drum kit. I am curious if anyone else has gone from the da-5 or the da-15 to one of the valvetronix or full-on tube amps. Any insights?

I'm also curious as to how the ad30vt's power attenuator works in practice -- does it, in fact, distort the tone nicely when the preamp is cranked but the master volume is low?

Of course, the best solution is to spend more time in the music shop, but I'm curious if others have insights to share.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vox Pathfinder

I have a Vox Pathfinder which is really a practice amp, but I have taken to a few worship services that I have played at and gone direct with it. Sounds really good and in Jams, it really kicks with the distortion/gain engaged. I can be heard over the drums and my buddies' amps as well. :DevilGuitar:

I am quite please with it. I use it quite often all by itself without effects. Well worth the price I paid for it and then some.:rockon2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ac 30

I have an AC30CC1 / Neo Dog that i upgraded to a Celestion Gold .... WOW !
What a difference ....... nice even mids and lows with the chimey highs .
I just purchaced a AC30CC head and a Vox 2x12 cab with 2 Celestion Golds from Faracaster ...... havent recieved it yet but cant wait . The 1x12 sounds great so i'm hoping the 2x12 will sound as good or better . Great sounding amps !

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
maybeyes said:
I have a Vox Pathfinder which is really a practice amp,
I got one throw in for free when I got my Hamer P90 Special. What a surprise. 10x better than the Marshall MG15 I had. Mind you, it still doesn't have the that tube fullness my Gibson GA-5 has ( hey it retailed at 5x the price), but it is still a find practice and jamming around amp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts