The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Vox AD30VT sounds very good at low volume, especially the hi-gain settings and it is very responsive to the pick attack.

In other words the vox seems to simulate very well the output tube distortion and compression of an all-tube amp, as long as you keep it at low to moderate volume.

Anyone can recommand an an all-tube amp that would sounds as good at low volume than the vox?

Thanks for your inputs!

www.stratquebec.com
www.soundclick.com/stratquebec

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
What you mentioned is the key benefit of modelling and SS amps vs. tube amps. If you are in a situation where you have to play at low volumes, they are a great option.

Even a 5 watt tube amp would be way too loud for an apartment when cranked into overdrive. There are amps as low as 1 watt out there though. Something like that might be good to look into. There are also attenuators you can buy for pretty much any size amp.

To me it's one of those 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' situations. If you like the sound of the Vox for those volumes, that's great. I know the Vox Pathfinder I owned was better sounding at low volumes then a lot of tube amps I have owned.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I also have a Vox AD30VT and I love it for basement playing and as a "grab and go" amp for jams etc. The overdrive tones are good and the clean tones are nice as well. I havent tried any of the other amps in your list to compare, but so far I'm happy with the Vox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts