The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
You'll want to listen to this podcast, then. Revisionist History Podcast It concerns the legal implications of punctuation in the U.S. constitution for those lobbying to split Texas into five, count 'em, FIVE states. Given that California's population is larger than Canada's, 3 states is not implausible. The question is whether it would be practical.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,444 Posts
Half of it gonna be sliden into the ocean anytime soon so can’t blame them if some of them all want to cut their loses before the shit comes down.

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not overly familiar with the details of most any type internal US politics/culture of this nature. (Civil War excluded) I have been vaguely aware of a Republic of Texas movement. The only similar thing to this California split is a small movement in North Western Ontario to become it's own province. That has been around for decades from what I have heard. And I only heard about that because I spent 8 months in Thunder Bay in the late 70s.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
The only similar thing to this California split is a small movement in North Western Ontario to become it's own province. That has been around for decades from what I have heard. And I only heard about that because I spent 8 months in Thunder Bay in the late 70s.
That's a great idea - I could drive out of Ontario faster :)

·
Premium Member
11,679 Posts
... a small movement in North Western Ontario to become it's own province. That has been around for decades from what I have heard. And I only heard about that because I spent 8 months in Thunder Bay in the late 70s.
Superior North has a nice ring to it. It could annex Manitoulin and the Bruce Peninsula.

Frankly, most of the Golden Horseshoe seems so alien it might as well be another world but another province, I'm not sure we could do it economically, and it's spread from KW/Cambridge all the way to Oshawa. Ontario must have been idyllic before white man came and fucked things up.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think they should split into the State of Confusion, the State of Decay and the State of Paranoia.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Its big Silicon Valley money trying to buy its freedom from state debt and services. IOW, screw you anyone who isn't a gabillionaire, we want more.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
That would mean more governors, more government and more expense for everyone that lives there. There are overhead costs to each government and there would be a smaller pool of people in each new state to pay for it. With only 3/4 of a million people in NB, where I live, I see those effects.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are also 2 other movements out California way. The "bigger" one is to have California separate completely from the US. The other, is to also split from the US but also take Washington (State) Oregon and, yes, BC along and form the country of Cascadia. The latter will go nowhere. The former has a very good chance of coming true (let's face it, California has nothing in common with a good 40+ of the 50-odd states).

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
There are also 2 other movements out California way. The "bigger" one is to have California separate completely from the US. The other, is to also split from the US but also take Washington (State) Oregon and, yes, BC along and form the country of Cascadia. The latter will go nowhere. The former has a very good chance of coming true (let's face it, California has nothing in common with a good 40+ of the 50-odd states).
I wonder if they'd be interested in Alberta as well or are we maybe a bit too Texas for them..?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts