The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the good fortune to have a job that takes me all over the world and I’m currently sitting in Mexico City finishing off a week in several locations in Mexico.

Approximately 50 km north of Mexico City lies the ancient city of Teotihuacan. This was a culture separate and distinct from Aztec and Inca.

I’ve visited the site twice before. Actually if you care to watch, I have quite a few videos on my YouTube channel showing the site.

It’s a special place that I studied about as a kid. The third largest pyramid on the planet (pyramid del sol) is there and you can climb to the top.

Tomorrow I’m taking my boss and an associate from Juarez, Mexico to see it.

What a thrill.

Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Teotihuac%C3%A1n%2C_M%C3%A9xico%2C_2013-10-13%2C_DD_54.JPG/243px-Teotihuac%C3%A1n%2C_M%C3%A9xico%2C_2013-10-13%2C_DD_54.JPG

Pyramid del Sol

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome stuff.

Ain’t never been there but a visit to that place might help put a few things into perspective same with Machu Picchu.
There are many sites in Mexico I still want to see, not the least of which is Chichen Itza. I’ll get there.

Several noteworthy things.

The elevation is 7000 ft above sea level at the base of the pyramid. I’ve climbed it twice and thought I was going to puke up my lungs.

How the fuck did they build this (no diesel, gas, or even steam power, no hydraulics, no electricity) and how did they make it so strong as to last several thousand years?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
And no concrete just fitted stones.

Yeah, the O2 thing can slow you down a bit. Met Hillary a couple of times back in the 80s; he was saying he couldn’t handle it above whatever altitude anymore but he would have been in his 60s then - he could still move vodka & tonic pretty good though.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty cool. Enjoy!
Thanks man.

I’m really excited to see it again.

I love history, and in spite of being an atheist I have a deep appreciation for the architecture I see in religious structures. I’ve been through cathedrals in Guadalajara, two in Mexico City, Bordeaux, and quite a few temples in Japan.

What a privilege.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And no concrete just fitted stones.

Yeah, the O2 thing can slow you down a bit. Met Hillary a couple of times back in the 80s; he was saying he couldn’t handle it above whatever altitude anymore but he would have been in his 60s then - he could still move vodka & tonic pretty good though.
In one of my clips from this site you can hear me gasping after I reached the top. It’s pretty tough.

What an honor for you to have met Sir Edmund Hillary.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Lucky SOB. I will see Machu Pichu before I die

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lucky SOB. I will see Machu Pichu before I die
Yes, and honestly, I appreciate just how lucky I am. I often shake my head in disbelief at the things I’ve been able to do and the places I’ve gone basically free, in fact, getting PAID for it.

Machu Pichu is definitely a place I want to visit.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
52A3AEEE-0CE3-41E3-B160-6416F7320771.jpeg
By the way, something we’re not seeing at all in the news is that there is a serious gasoline crisis in Mexico right now.

The incoming president has implemented rationing to try and thwart some sort of organized crime problems.

In Celaya, Toluca and presumably other cities, people are lining up and waiting as long as four hours for gas and only a small amount is sold to any one person.

That’s not in effect in Mexico City.

I took some pictures. It’s quite shocking. Lots of people at the customer I visited this morning are working from home because they can’t get to work.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
What an honor for you to have met Sir Edmund Hillary.
He had his feet planted firmly on the ground and was easy to get along with. I’m 6’3” and he was taller than me but the thing I noticed was that, while he was thin, he had a massive frame/bone structure and you could tell that he must have been really powerful in his day. I’m not much into name dropping and such but I’m pleased to have met him because he seemed like a modest man who had the grit and determination to take the mountain down and to some extent that is what life is about.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He had his feet planted firmly on the ground and was easy to get along with. I’m 6’3” and he was taller than me but the thing I noticed was that, while he was thin, he had a massive frame/bone structure and you could tell that he must have been really powerful in his day. I’m not much into name dropping and such but I’m pleased to have met him because he seemed like a modest man who had the grit and determination to take the mountain down and to some extent that is what life is about.
Well, as others will testify (well, those not on my ignore list) if I had met him, I would gleefully add that to my repertoire of anecdotes.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
This actually how I got to visit Auschwitz 8 years ago. Work sent me to Tychy Poland for 3 days, then Ulm Germany for 2 weeks. On the last day in Poland we had time to spare before the plane left for Germany so I begged the team leader to take us there. An experience I will never forget.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This actually how I got to visit Auschwitz 8 years ago. Work sent me to Tychy Poland for 3 days, then Ulm Germany for 2 weeks. On the last day in Poland we had time to spare before the plane left for Germany so I begged the team leader to take us there. An experience I will never forget.
I would have had the same feeling I’m sure.

One of my target destinations is Hiroshima and that is within my grasp.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Yes, and honestly, I appreciate just how lucky I am. I often shake my head in disbelief at the things I’ve been able to do and the places I’ve gone basically free, in fact, getting PAID for it.
It's great to appreciate what you are getting. I find air travel a real pain these days, but you seem to find the positives.

In a previous job, I flew in helicopters all over this great province of BC. I realized I was getting paid to do things tourists paid a small fortune to do. And the pilots I flew with went out of their way to make it fun and interesting for me/us (it's a competitive business and they wanted ours).

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
These huge structures amaze and mystify me. The labour and the logistics and the desire and sacrifice to construct these things with only early man's bare hands and backs - I just can't fathom it.

It had to be aliens ........................

1 - 20 of 41 Posts