The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got a good deal on a used vintage v6 guitar : .

https://www.jhs.co.uk/vintage-v6jmh-reissued-electric-guitar-olympia-white-fillmore

wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar, or even vintage v6's in general. they seem well made and play nicely but I'm not a fan of the reverse headstock. It looks and feels weird. wondering if there's an aftermarket neck that would fit..

also apparently the pickups are reverse wound. they sound a little strange to me, but do reverse wound pickups sound significantly different than normal wound? they are just Wilkinson basic pickups. might swap in my peavey predator pickups since they sound decent.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you measure the heel, you might be able to find a fender replacement neck that would be an easy swap. I guess the point of this guitar was to shoot for a pseudo Jimi Hendrix vibe with the reverse headstock and all.

The reverse wound pickups refers to the center pickup being wound in a way to offer him cancelling in positions 2 and 4 on the selector switch; it’s pretty common on strats. If the pickups sound good, I’d go ahead and use them. You can try changing the heights of the pickups. I find that to make a really big difference in the tone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. and about the pickups.. I guess the poles are reversed too. they sound weird. I'm wondering if I can just flip wires to make it normal wound or do I have to adjust the pole pieces?

·
Registered
662 Posts
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-are-rwrp-pickups/

I found that little blurb that better explains what’s actually happening when using rwrp pickups. I honestly don’t see any benefit in getting rid of that setup and it’s something you’ll really appreciate having when playing in a venue with lots of electrical interference; poor electrical service, neon/fluorescent lights, and a lot of other things have been known to drive single coils wild when used in the same area.

The only pickups I could recommend in this case are a set of noise cancelling or full humbucking pickups, but I don’t find either of those options to sound like a classic strat, if that’s the sound you’re shooting for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts