The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some sources for a Vintage style 5 hole Tele pickguard for my Squier CVC. I see that Warmoth has them available, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other optional sources. I'm looking to put in a Duncan Custom Mini SM-2N in the neck position to go along with the Duncan Lil 59 Tele in the bridge.

I just don't know if I want to spend $40 or $50 on a Warmoth. Seems a bit pricey to me. I'd also prefer not to retool the existing mint green guard as it's original to the Squier and would like to keep it in appropriate shape.

Thanks to any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Solo music
Cosmo music

Prob not going to be a whole lot cheaper than warmoth.

What colour are you looking for?
I have black, white (single ply) and tortoise (4 ply) in stock.

Nathan

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solo music
Cosmo music

Prob not going to be a whole lot cheaper than warmoth.

What colour are you looking for?
I have black, white (single ply) and tortoise (4 ply) in stock.

Nathan
Thanks for the info Nathan. Appreciate it.

black? I have a black one that could be routed for a mini-hum

Edit: Ah, mint green. I can read, really I can........
I was actually considering black Dave. What I meant in the above post is that I don't want to route the current one I have, just in case I decide to sell. WHich more than likely would never happen anyway. I've never sold a guitar that I've owned. Once this stupid weather takes a hike I'll get in touch for a meeting with you at your place.

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
I was actually considering black Dave. What I meant in the above post is that I don't want to route the current one I have, just in case I decide to sell. WHich more than likely would never happen anyway. I've never sold a guitar that I've owned. Once this stupid weather takes a hike I'll get in touch for a meeting with you at your place.
Sounds good. I just checked and I have a 5-hole in white, black, and white with a humbucker.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Be super careful on the mini-hum neck cutout... Not all current production ones have the same cover dimensions -- a definite size difference between Dimarzio and SD for sure (guess how I found out...).

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. Duncan's site has the needed dimension specs.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Mini-HB-6-String-Non-Adjustable.pdf

On that note @Lincoln . I was adjusting the neck and bridge pups the other day and with the guard off and looking at the guitar, I think I'm going to go black. It was hard to picture with the mint green one on, but with it removed it cleared up the picture. Dave ,if you don't have one , let me know and I'll order one. Think I saw some on Ebay that were black with mini humbucker cuts. I'll also keep checking and referring back here if need be.

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Duncan's site has the needed dimension specs.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Mini-HB-6-String-Non-Adjustable.pdf

On that note @Lincoln . I was adjusting the neck and bridge pups the other day and with the guard off and looking at the guitar, I think I'm going to go black. It was hard to picture with the mint green one on, but with it removed it cleared up the picture. Dave ,if you don't have one , let me know and I'll order one. Think I saw some on Ebay that were black with mini humbucker cuts. I'll also keep checking and referring back here if need be.
What colour is the body Pete? I've got a black, 5-hole, single ply, routed for a standard tele neck PU. We can recut it for the mini-hum if you think that will work for you. Otherwise, I'm sure someone must be selling them made for a mini-hum.
Is the route in your body big enough? Most of the later stuff seemed to come routed for HB anyway.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What colour is the body Pete? I've got a black, 5-hole, single ply, routed for a standard tele neck PU. We can recut it for the mini-hum if you think that will work for you. Otherwise, I'm sure someone must be selling them made for a mini-hum.
Is the route in your body big enough? Most of the later stuff seemed to come routed for HB anyway.
It's

It's routed for a humbucker and here is the link to the guitar in question Dave.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/ng-fxd.143265/#post-1378361

I'm going to measure the humbucker route to see where it stands. It's a Firebird style pup so it might require some adjusting. I also may consider alternatives to using this particular pup FYI.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So an update. I decided to just order a 3 ply BWB 5 hole Tele Pickguard for $8 from Musiclily on Amazon. Fits like a glove.

I think using the mini humbucker as an outline should work. I'll just drill a bunch of small holes around the inside edge of the outline I make (towards the bridge) and cut and file from there. The big question for me is that as this is a 50's style CVC, the current neck pup is screwed right into the body's wood. Can you guys share some options such as pickguard mounting or otherwise? Maybe longer screws in the body as the current ones are too short even for the current pup to move any closer to the strings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I found this thread just in time, I have a pile of Tele guards and I was gonna offer one up for free. glad you found one before I had a chance to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
So an update. I decided to just order a 3 ply BWB 5 hole Tele Pickguard for $8 from Musiclily on Amazon. Fits like a glove.

I think using the mini humbucker as an outline should work. I'll just drill a bunch of small holes around the inside edge of the outline I make (towards the bridge) and cut and file from there. The big question for me is that as this is a 50's style CVC, the current neck pup is screwed right into the body's wood. Can you guys share some options such as pickguard mounting or otherwise? Maybe longer screws in the body as the current ones are too short even for the current pup to move any closer to the strings.

Thanks.
It’s just plastic it cuts fairly easily.
Your plan should work.
It’s up to you weather you want to mount it to the body or guard.
If you mount it to the pick guard you can mark and drill your holes from the back.
Use the pickup to mark the holes.

To mount it to the body you can get longer screws and use some foam under it.

What did you get for a mini?

How do you like the bridge pickup?
Have you changed the switch & pots or still using the stock ones?

Nathan

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It’s just plastic it cuts fairly easily.
Your plan should work.
It’s up to you weather you want to mount it to the body or guard.
If you mount it to the pick guard you can mark and drill your holes from the back.
Use the pickup to mark the holes.

To mount it to the body you can get longer screws and use some foam under it.

What did you get for a mini?

How do you like the bridge pickup?
Have you changed the switch & pots or still using the stock ones?

Nathan
I was thinking of just getting longer (1 1/4") screws. I'll assume they're fairly easily available.

I have a SD Custom SM-2N (Vintage Firebird) mini. I like the bridge pup as I changed it to the SD lil '59T a while ago. It's been totally rewired with CTS pots, tone being push/pull for coil splitting, CRL 3 way switch, etc. I don't mind the original neck pup but it cannot keep up with the lil 59. The mini used to be in my LP deluxe for a time. I'm pretty new to the mod game so I figured I'd use it as a good vehicle to exercise my right to fuck things up a bit. ;) I cannot take full credit for all the mods as I ran scurrying to the local tech when I couldn't quite figure out where i went wrong in the wiring of the push/pull.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts