The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon to all!
I recently picked up this old Pyramid guitar at the thrift store. I'm considering restoring it, on the most basic level, pretty much just so it's playable.
I don't know if there are components that are body specific, or what type of pickups to use, I'm in need of some guidance!
I'd also like to know the history of the guitar, there's no serial number at all, the only identification is the "Pyramid" decal on the headstock.

Thank you!

Dropbox - IMG_20160820_132414.jpg

Dropbox - IMG_20160820_132455.jpg

Dropbox - IMG_20160820_132437.jpg

·
Premium Member
25,584 Posts
When I was 14 or 15, we'd salivate at the Pyramid, Pan, Apollo, and Teisco guitars in the local Miracle Mart (on Labelle in Laval). This one appears to have used very low-profile pickups, like the one you see on this Silvertone, that screw into the surface of the body, with no routing Having disassembled one some years back, I learned it was essentially a flat bar magnet with the coil wound around it, and the whole assembly embedded inside the cover with a lot of wax. Finding some sort of replacement would be either impossible or very expensive. More than likely, you would need to route out the body to accommodate something that is presently available. You would also need to lay out and cut yourself a new pickguard. If you're up to the challenge, fine. If not, then you'd be wasting a lot of time and money on something that may have some visual coolness but maybe not a lot of playing value.

Having said that, if flawless restoration is not the goal, you would do well to go to Guitar Fetish, where they carry pickguard material ( Uncut Pickguard Material- Great for Custom Pickguards! ), and inexpensive pickups ( GFS Guitar Pickups ).

The problem is the bridge. It would have been one of the low-profile plastic things, like the one on theGuyatone you see here. I have absolutely no idea who sell anything like that. Neither GFS or Stew-Mac do. It's not the cosmetics. Rather, the profile is fairly low, given the way the neck is mounted. I have a couple of Guyatone and Teisco guitars from that period, and I am damn glad they came with bridges, because finding/making another would have been misery.

I'm guessing the body isn't very thick, right?

·
Registered
12,346 Posts
I found this, possibly the same outfit. They seem to have a Rush connection...

the Pyramid Guitar - Rush

There were several outfits over the years that would contract the work out in Japan and sell them here.
I have a buddies Canora here right now, it has a cool goldfoil pickup in the neck only.
Tiny body, light as a feather, but a beefy neck, which I thought odd for a "student" guitar.

As Mark stated above, it may be a headache sourcing certain parts for the resurrection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts