The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Vintage-pepco/pine amp.

19K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  copperhead 
#1 ·
just got one from kirk1701 through this site. whoever posted to kirk's "buy & sell" thread....please post pics again, and any useful info on the amp. the one I just got...seconds ago...says model 201, has 3 input jacks, vol and tone. 8" speaker (can't see a name, possibly a jenson?) am at work...supposed to be working...LOL...and will have to wait 'til later to poke at it.
cheers,
RIFF

ps: and wild bill..if you see this thread....I'll be talking at you shortly.
RIFF

#2 ·
sorry man, dont know a lot about the amp myself, but yup mine is the same, a model 201. 8" jensen special design speaker. got it in a pawn shop in the early 90s- funny, it had the purchase reciept in the back, bought in toronto 1964- yet the little card with the tube layout etc was gone, only about an inch of it remained. i added a three prong cord and used it on and off for years. perhaps if you plan to restore it i will get started on mine too- we can compare notes.

i also have this regal model 300, made in canada, inside is identical, only the cabinet is different and it has a 8" marsland
[/IMG]

#3 ·
Fraser: looks identical to your 210.messing around making the pine 201 into a head rather than working on the original cabinet. perhaps later with a little work the old cab may just be used for a speaker? Didn't bother even trying to plug it in....
i ,carefully, removed the guts from the cab. I think I'm missing about 2 of everything...LOL......no schematics in this one either, just the staple and light colour where it used to be....haven't been able to find anything on line yet.....this has got to be the simplist amp made....I sure hope it puts out some volume......have you tried yours yet?
cheers
RIFF

#5 ·
greco
I responded earlier, must have not hit send...
I'm not set up for pictures, perhaps Fraser will be kind enough to shoot some.
Really not much inside...appear to be missing PT and only a few tubes. very simple looking and neatly laid out. very small OT. I cut off the speaker, and when I have mounted in the new cab as a "head" then I think I will send to an expert.
thanks for your interest
RIFF

#6 ·
yup ill take some inside pics - give me a little while tho.

riff- yes i used mine a fair bit- only puts out about 4 watts, not very loud, but a perfect volume for me. has a really warm, fat sound- starts to distort at about 11 oclock. pretty typical small old tube amp tone.
i bet if you build a head out of it and run it into a larger speaker itll sound great. there is very little on the web on these- ive done an exhaustive search.
ive seen references to it, and a few harmony central reviews of other models, but thats about it.
mine has a 12ax7, a 50l6 and a 35z5.
i believe i saw some old harmony amp schematics on the net that used the same tubes and similar components.

#11 ·
It was a very popular little amp made by Pine Eectronics of Montreal in the late 60's and early 70's. They were manufactured under a number of names (Pine, Paul, Regal, Arcsound, Northland etc.). Thay also came in various configurations from 1x8 combo to upright 2x12 combo or as a head only. The same amp was also available with tremelo.

If the speaker is original it should be a Marsland.

#12 ·
It was a very popular little amp made by Pine Eectronics of Montreal in the late 60's and early 70's. They were manufactured under a number of names (Pine, Paul, Regal, Arcsound, Northland etc.). Thay also came in various configurations from 1x8 combo to upright 2x12 combo or as a head only. The same amp was also available with tremelo.

If the speaker is original it should be a Marsland.
well mine was purchased in 64- and i think the speaker type is dependent on the date of build- the earliest had the jensen, later ones had the marsland, as is the case with my regal, built in 66.
i could be wrong of course- but i have been hunting for info on this for over 15 years. also- when i bought it it was in almost pristine condition, i spoke with the original purchaser by phone, as i also purchased a 65 ampeg reverbojet in mint cond. at the same time. he stated that it was original.

#15 ·
forgot about this thread........the old pine is now a "custom" which is chrome lettering procured from a chrysler newport custom.........it is in a small old walnut short wave radio cab with stainless perforated steel front and back........it was checked over and upgraded by my favourite amp guru Wild Bill..........and Greco, if you are following this thread, you played through it last Sept at the jam....through an old Vintage Gold 1X12.......if I am not mistaken......this is very similar to an old Champ wiring diagram.........for a small fee contact Just Radios (dot com or dot ca?) and they will provide schematics if they have them.........they are Canadian, from Scarborough Ont.......very fast canada post delivery
good luck, I love the sound of this amp......very old school, bluesy but simple
cheers
Gerry

#22 ·
everything will be OK..........just don't play it out in the rain or in the bathtub.......
Or outside, or while standing on concrete, or while touching ANY other electronics . . .

Also, pray that the one cap doesn't go because if it does you will have full voltage on your strings! (and you thought barre chords can hurt!). These things simply don't safety anymore.

I've mentioned this before. I have a pro grade isolation transformer sitting here that I am not using. I'll consider just about any trade for it. I didn't start this line of questioning to move gear, I brought it up because of legit safety concerns.

TG

#23 ·
Or outside, or while standing on concrete, or while touching ANY other electronics . . .

Also, pray that the one cap doesn't go because if it does you will have full voltage on your strings! (and you thought barre chords can hurt!). These things simply don't safety anymore.

I've mentioned this before. I have a pro grade isolation transformer sitting here that I am not using. I'll consider just about any trade for it. I didn't start this line of questioning to move gear, I brought it up because of legit safety concerns.

TG
Definitely understand your logic, but my old Pine amp is long gone. One of you other guys should step up and and take that offer. Good for peace of mind.

#24 ·
Definitely understand your logic, but my old Pine amp is long gone. One of you other guys should step up and and take that offer. Good for peace of mind.
Thanks for understanding my intent. I was afraid I would come off as a spammer or look like I had set people up for a hard sell. These are great little amps that are fun to play; I just want to make sure it stays fun :)

TG

#25 ·
the old pine is now a "custom" which is chrome lettering procured from a chrysler newport custom.........it is in a small old walnut short wave radio cab with stainless perforated steel front and back........it was checked over and upgraded by my favourite amp guru Wild Bill
What did Wild Bill have to say about the safety concerns?

Surely he brought that up when he was modding the amp, no?

#26 ·
first off Wild Bill did not so much "mod" the amp, but rather do caps and such that are a normal maintenance and/or preventative issue with (old) tube amps.the only real mod that Bill performed was to install a grounded plug wire and to install a jack that cuts out the tiny internal speaker (load) when a cord is installed for an external speaker.....we did discuss safety issues and I decided that I was not overly concerned for three reasons.....one being cost...two being I wanted the amp to be as "original" as possible internally.....and three being the literally millions of electrical appliances made , say, from the 40's on up into the 70's that were used by your grandparents / parents /yourselves....not quite an urban legend type thing but.........the unit is not used in the damp, nowhere near water, on carpet if on concrete, it has limited use as I (pretend to) play bass........the only others who use it are guests.............lol...it is part of my "collection" of old tube amps.....I have 3 so far...with another coming when Bill has the time.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.