The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got one from kirk1701 through this site. whoever posted to kirk's "buy & sell" thread....please post pics again, and any useful info on the amp. the one I just got...seconds ago...says model 201, has 3 input jacks, vol and tone. 8" speaker (can't see a name, possibly a jenson?) am at work...supposed to be working...LOL...and will have to wait 'til later to poke at it.
cheers,
RIFF

ps: and wild bill..if you see this thread....I'll be talking at you shortly.
RIFF

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
sorry man, dont know a lot about the amp myself, but yup mine is the same, a model 201. 8" jensen special design speaker. got it in a pawn shop in the early 90s- funny, it had the purchase reciept in the back, bought in toronto 1964- yet the little card with the tube layout etc was gone, only about an inch of it remained. i added a three prong cord and used it on and off for years. perhaps if you plan to restore it i will get started on mine too- we can compare notes.

i also have this regal model 300, made in canada, inside is identical, only the cabinet is different and it has a 8" marsland
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fraser: looks identical to your 210.messing around making the pine 201 into a head rather than working on the original cabinet. perhaps later with a little work the old cab may just be used for a speaker? Didn't bother even trying to plug it in....
i ,carefully, removed the guts from the cab. I think I'm missing about 2 of everything...LOL......no schematics in this one either, just the staple and light colour where it used to be....haven't been able to find anything on line yet.....this has got to be the simplist amp made....I sure hope it puts out some volume......have you tried yours yet?
cheers
RIFF

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Cool thread..please keep us posted.

Any chance of some internal chassis pics ? (for the electronics enthusiasts among us)

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greco
I responded earlier, must have not hit send...
I'm not set up for pictures, perhaps Fraser will be kind enough to shoot some.
Really not much inside...appear to be missing PT and only a few tubes. very simple looking and neatly laid out. very small OT. I cut off the speaker, and when I have mounted in the new cab as a "head" then I think I will send to an expert.
thanks for your interest
RIFF

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
yup ill take some inside pics - give me a little while tho.

riff- yes i used mine a fair bit- only puts out about 4 watts, not very loud, but a perfect volume for me. has a really warm, fat sound- starts to distort at about 11 oclock. pretty typical small old tube amp tone.
i bet if you build a head out of it and run it into a larger speaker itll sound great. there is very little on the web on these- ive done an exhaustive search.
ive seen references to it, and a few harmony central reviews of other models, but thats about it.
mine has a 12ax7, a 50l6 and a 35z5.
i believe i saw some old harmony amp schematics on the net that used the same tubes and similar components.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Thanks so much for all the pics (and so quickly). Very much appreciated.

I'm at work now, so I'll spend more time looking at them later.

Certainly lots of extra real estate in the chassis !!

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
It was a very popular little amp made by Pine Eectronics of Montreal in the late 60's and early 70's. They were manufactured under a number of names (Pine, Paul, Regal, Arcsound, Northland etc.). Thay also came in various configurations from 1x8 combo to upright 2x12 combo or as a head only. The same amp was also available with tremelo.

If the speaker is original it should be a Marsland.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It was a very popular little amp made by Pine Eectronics of Montreal in the late 60's and early 70's. They were manufactured under a number of names (Pine, Paul, Regal, Arcsound, Northland etc.). Thay also came in various configurations from 1x8 combo to upright 2x12 combo or as a head only. The same amp was also available with tremelo.

If the speaker is original it should be a Marsland.
well mine was purchased in 64- and i think the speaker type is dependent on the date of build- the earliest had the jensen, later ones had the marsland, as is the case with my regal, built in 66.
i could be wrong of course- but i have been hunting for info on this for over 15 years. also- when i bought it it was in almost pristine condition, i spoke with the original purchaser by phone, as i also purchased a 65 ampeg reverbojet in mint cond. at the same time. he stated that it was original.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i seem to have this amp, different cabinet, "trendy" label.
i know it is wired incorrectly right now,
would it be possible to get a schematic?

thanks
philip

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
forgot about this thread........the old pine is now a "custom" which is chrome lettering procured from a chrysler newport custom.........it is in a small old walnut short wave radio cab with stainless perforated steel front and back........it was checked over and upgraded by my favourite amp guru Wild Bill..........and Greco, if you are following this thread, you played through it last Sept at the jam....through an old Vintage Gold 1X12.......if I am not mistaken......this is very similar to an old Champ wiring diagram.........for a small fee contact Just Radios (dot com or dot ca?) and they will provide schematics if they have them.........they are Canadian, from Scarborough Ont.......very fast canada post delivery
good luck, I love the sound of this amp......very old school, bluesy but simple
cheers
Gerry

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Greco, if you are following this thread, you played through it last Sept at the jam....through an old Vintage Gold 1X12.......if I am not mistaken......very old school, bluesy but simple Gerry
Hi Gerry...Yes, I remember the amp very well. A very cool amp indeed ....I really like the wooden cabinet you used for it :food-smiley-004:

Cheers

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts