The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A wire from my old Lifco amp output transformer came out. Can it be fixed or do i need a new one?

This is a really cool amp uses four 6av6 tubes, two El 84s and a rectifier.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a Lifco 630 amp. I opened up the transformer a bit to see any possible connections.

One is still attached , one is grounded to the chasis, maybe its the one in the middle?

IMG_0706.JPG

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Is this the secondary, the output going to the speaker? Where does the black wire in the picture attach? Does the amp still work? In some cases there is a third wire that is an alternate impedance but may not be used. I'm not familiar with the amp and don't have all the information, my apologies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are pics of my 630 to compare... seems like yours is missing one of you speaker wire, the one that is soldered on the chassis...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Yep, just checked pics of my combo version of the 630, your just missing the speaker wire connected/grounded on the chassis...

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Considering it's all ripped up now; I'd replace it - not too expensive, like $40 for the part and easy enough to DIY (be safe; if you dunno what that means disregard this post).

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, thanks for the help, the amp is running now and sounds great it rocks. Ya maybe I was a bit hasty in opening up the transformer, I'm getting a smokey smell from it a bit. I will replace it sometime. There was somebody on this forum awile back tested the output of the transformer and found it had a 4 ohm output. I might try and might it 8 ohms.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
the can cap is leaking !!! Cooling leak! The warp drive is going to explode !!!:rolleyes:

You need a serious cap job on this thing...

The OT should be fine...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres what the cab looks like. It had a regal badge on it but I took it off and put on Grant one. I also put in a new 1 x 12 baffle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
The OT should be fine...
It may work but it's a mess and there's some windings exposed - not very safe. At the very least tape it up (you can take your time replacing it, if you're patient you can get a used tranny for next to nothing; on a low power amp like this it's not an expensive part even new as mentioned).

·
Premium Member
17,603 Posts
He just needed to re-solder his output wire that was pulled from the chassis point... 2 wires from the OT go to the speaker jack, one of these is soldered to the chassis first on this model. his was pulled and the wire got disconnected at the solder point.
That is what I assumed looking at the pics. Great that you were able to help @Buzz ....Well done!

·
Premium Member
17,603 Posts
It may work but it's a mess and there's some windings exposed - not very safe. At the very least tape it up
@Granny Gremlin Just to help me learn re: "tape it up", would you simply use electrical tape around the entire transformer ...or some other approach?

How would you spec a new transformer for this amp?

Once again, many thanks for all of your patience and help with teaching me more about electronics.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
@Granny Gremlin Just to help me learn re: "tape it up", would you simply use electrical tape around the entire transformer ...or some other approach?

How would you spec a new transformer for this amp?

Once again, many thanks for all of your patience and help with teaching me more about electronics.
Yes electrical tape. Just wrap around after folding those paper layers back, though all you really need to do is the one side; possibly a bit neater looking to just do strips across that one side vs a whole wrap.

As for the tranny, look for any 18W Marshall (which were similarly a pair of EL84s on the output) replacement type, like this one: Marshall 18W Output Transformer . A Vox style 15 watt should also work but they tend to be more expensive (e.g. Vox AC15 Vintage Output Transformer, 15W, 4/8/16 Ohms ).

Hammond should have an equivalent for the Marshall style at least... e.g. this guy (says for Fender but the primary impedance is that same as the Marshall ones above so should be fine): Hammond 1750E - Output Transformer - 8.5K, 8 OHM, PP, 15W

Nexgen doesn't have it but the ideal Hammond would be the 1750PA ( http://hammondmfg.com/pdf/EDB1750PA.pdf ) . If you ask they can prob get it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts