The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Great collection but per the rules we need prices, this is not an auction site. Conversely you could just offer them all for trade.
Thanks davetcan, I absolutely agree. Certainly not my intention to auction this off. I can‘t delete the thread but I’ll update as trades and redo it with prices on-hand when ready...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve decided to move along some amps out of the collection. I’d prefer a local sale/pickup, or regional delivery depending (Southern Ontario). Here we go, this is what’s available. I would consider selling the lot outright, or trading it for a nice guitar or a few nice guitars. You know the drill, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Gretsch etc... Here are the amps; some of them customized by qualified amp techs so they can be used practically and safely by other guitarists or harp players. Just look at those Ampro cabinets! How cool is that?!!! Lots of good stuff, all within the three digit mark. Feel free to contact me while I build this list up And take pics of each individual amp or cab. Just thought I’d put it out there right now.

Please note, I‘m keeping my ‘64 Vox ac30 for now and the Tex amp is currently being sold separately on the forum. All other amps pictured are available for trade or sale (I’m currently working out prices for those).

Super cool looking ‘50’s grey metal Victor (RCA-Victor) amp head with matching cab. The head is a 2x 6v6 arrangement with dual rectifiers! Can be operated with one of both rectifier tubes, depending on how much sag you like in your amp. Speaker in the cabinet is a vintage 12” Jensen 8 ohm C12R. The cab can be connected in either of two ways... with the closed back or open back. Both have connectors to facilitate that.

Ampro 12” Speaker Extension Cabinet (plenty of real estate to put an amp chassis in, or use it as an extension speaker with the Ampro Amp). Original 16 ohm (possibly Goodmans?) speaker and it sounds great!

1965 Traynor Bass Mate Amp in excellent original condition. Has original RSC Jesnsen 12” speaker! Super cool looking early metal Traynor script logo on super clean grille clothe!

1940’s Victor cabinet with cool Victor grille logo, with original 12” field coil speaker inside.

1959-1960 Ampro Model 690 Amplifier. 2x 6v6 arrangment. This super cool amp comes with its original 12” Jensen (basically a 16 ohm P12R).

Keil 77a combo amp. Keil is a Canadian company but this isn't your regular cheap amp. Excellent quality components, including original Hammond transformers. Solid amp.

Bell & Howell extension speaker cabinet with original 12” 16 ohm Jensen speaker in immaculate condition.

Keil PA amp modded for guitar. Wow, this one is pretty cool. Excellent quality component. It’s basically a poor man‘s vintage ac15, running EL84’s, ecc82 & ecc83, and the venerable Vox tone ticket, the EF86. Original Mullard EL84’s in the power section too!

Super cool and rare 2-tone Kent amp. This thing is so cool looking and comes with its original cardboard shipping box! In superb original condition, especially for a nearly 60 year old amp.

Four el84 tube Combo gems here...

Beltone 2x10” AP-24 combo amp Red Tolex

Beltone 1x12” combo amp Red Tolex

Beltone 2x10” AP-24 Purple Tolex

Beltone 2x8” AP-18 Grey Tolex

Thorcraft Mustang! Excellent quality vintage Canadian combo amp.

Keil Model 22 Camaro amp

Garnet Vagabond amp (basically a Garnet stencil amp as I understand it). Another cool vintage Canadian made amp by Gar Gillies.

Fender Greta amp head (new unopened in box) with matching Greta cab in same condition.

More details to come! View attachment 337215

View attachment 337216

View attachment 337217

View attachment 337218

View attachment 337219

View attachment 337220
Good catch! That’s correct. It’s actually quite rare. A Gibson “Kalamazoo” Mandobass with f-holes. The Style J mandobasses had a round sound hole. This is the only mandobass Gibson produced with f-holes.
I’m acquainted with singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Hilary James who plays a mando-bass. I haven’t had the privilege of trying one myself.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I was concerned about listing this without prices ready... my apologies to everyone. Please hang in there, or if there are those who would feel better about my removing the thread until the prices are posted, I’m good with that too of course.
Heck no. Just put up some prices. That Camaro is calling my name,

·
Registered
2006 Custom Christopher Reesor Classical
239 Posts
Interesting indeed. The ones with the big B on em are very early Bryston branded solid state if I am not mistaken. Too bad no Sylvania or Sears! The same mass production amp company from the late 60's early 70's and quite reliable if well taken care of and not abused or over driven.
Might be hard as all get out getting the right decent replacement high power caps for them though if they have been cooked at all. Mostly likely early printed circuit designs so be prepared for lead smoke and some really tight soldering if they need cap replacements or if anything has got a little cooked.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Interesting indeed. The ones with the big B on em are very early Bryston branded solid state if I am not mistaken. Too bad no Sylvania or Sears! The same mass production amp company from the late 60's early 70's and quite reliable if well taken care of and not abused or over driven.
Might be hard as all get out getting the right decent replacement high power caps for them though if they have been cooked at all. Mostly likely early printed circuit designs so be prepared for lead smoke and some really tight soldering if they need cap replacements or if anything has got a little cooked.
No. The ones with the big B are Beltones. And they’re tube, not solid state.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This would be a great full day visit if not for the lockdown that’s coming :(
A very good point DaddyDog. The timing is tricky but with proper PPE and good Covid manners (something lacking recently — and the reason for a second lockdown), it’s possible for someone to snag one of these little gems. I may open some of the smaller amps up to shipping as well...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Oh sweet jesus what a FAB collection!!!!

Reactions: atomic-age

·
Registered
239 Posts
No. The ones with the big B are Beltones. And they’re tube, not solid state.
Thanks for reminding me of that brand name. The history of brand name amps is not my forte, as I am sure you can understand. Classical guitars, instrument wood usage and misuse, the history of how the acoustic guitar evolved and is evolving is more my speed.
Great that they are tube amps! 6V6 based I guess depending on setup. Some of the old early solid state Silvertones were rather interesting and you could make them sound like a cat in heat if you have the hankering for that type of sound production. I had one when I was 14 back in 1966-67, until one day that it mysterious quit working somehow. I suspect parental interference issues with the speaker wiring or off switch fatigue of the power cord and circuitry, now as a grandparent I can't say as I blame them. I didn't appreciate power chords back then and tried instead to actually play melodically through it. Serious mistake!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of that brand name. The history of brand name amps is not my forte, as I am sure you can understand.
I only sound smart because I happened to have owned a couple Beltone amps. Otherwise, I’d have had no idea what they were.

Reactions: atomic-age

·
Registered
239 Posts
I only sound smart because I happened to have owned a couple Beltone amps. Otherwise, I’d have had no idea what they were.
I am not that smart either otherwise I would just give in and get a job teaching classical guitar with the added aspect selling instruments and gear.
My honesty gets in the way of that late in life career choice though, going broke buying gear and helping my brother to start selling his guitar builds is a habit of mine. As my spouse will attest.

But back to the gear in question in this thread.

I do remember a few of the better quality small tube amps from way back when. The holy grail being the really great ones from Traynor IMO. The problems with transformer and capacitor power supply replacement is still the hurdle though, regardless whether tube or not, or brand name for that matter. Tube amps with caps on a printed circuit board can be particularly difficult and expensive to repair if the printed board becomes unserviceable due to cracking or damage from cooked caps, bad past repairs, ill considered mods and the like.

Must be nice living in Ontario where there are still quite a few people who actually fix old gear especially out in small town Ontario. Here, much like in big cities like Toronto and elsewhere the ridiculous high rents and tax cost of running a small speciality shop makes it impossible to survive at all and all we are left with is L&M, who are essentially useless for getting old gear fixed right.

The last of the decent electronic repair shops in Victoria are all but gone the pawn shops are awash with new junk and every once and a while some real gear that they can't sell quickly enough on ebay so they blow it out the door. Mostly in semi operable or dead condition.

If the gear in this post is in good condition and serviceable it certainly is a little treasure trove and kudos to the atomic-age for salvaging it, it must have taken years!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If the gear in this post is in good condition and serviceable it certainly is a little treasure trove and kudos to the atomic-age for salvaging it, it must have taken years
Thanks but truth be told, I give due credit on a good number of those amps to another esteemed member, who did the lion’s share of salvaging on those ones...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts