The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to keep?

I have a contact at the local landfill and every now and then I get an accoustic.sometimes I even get a usuable case.

Has any one heard of the following:
Stella; ARCIIKraft; Pirles; Zen-On; also Suzuki (this one is due for a Pete Townsend performance), and a Sears.
By deduction? they appear to be 60's or early 70's.

is there a site to check them out. are they only decoration?
any comments would be appreciated. am not set up for pictures yet.
cheers
Riff Wrath

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was given a new search engine to check out. It's called metacrawler.com for anyone who was not aware of this link it uses yahoo, google, msn and some other search engine.

All I could find so far on the Pirles is that they were involved with various student grade stringed instruments (ukes, bangoes, guitars) in the 50's - 60's.

For my Stella, it was made by Oscar Schmidt (manuf. since the late 1800's), and their guitars were popular with blues players.My Stella is a 3/4 size. (guestimated to be 60's)Interestingly the Oscar Schmidt site is matched into the Washburn guitar site.

Still no luck on the ArcIIKraft.

cheers
Riff Wrath.

·
Registered
485 Posts
From what I've heard and read, those little Stellas have a bit of a cult following. I found one once in Calgary's Vintage store. I have no idea how old it was but I quite liked it. It had a lot of volume and bass for such a small guitar, even with dead strings. The guy was asking $400.00 for it and I wasn't willing to pay that much, tho'. It was in bad shape. I still think about that little guitar from time to time. The guy I was with at the time suggested it was way over-priced. I have no idea if that's right or not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gilliangirl said:
From what I've heard and read, those little Stellas have a bit of a cult following. I found one once in Calgary's Vintage store. I have no idea how old it was but I quite liked it. It had a lot of volume and bass for such a small guitar, even with dead strings. The guy was asking $400.00 for it and I wasn't willing to pay that much, tho'. It was in bad shape. I still think about that little guitar from time to time. The guy I was with at the time suggested it was way over-priced. I have no idea if that's right or not.
Our local Bluznroots guy Tim Williams goes bonkers over "Stellae"....and yer darn tootin' they are a cult guitar. And you saw why. A Stella can fetch a good buck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
mandocaster said:
Our local Bluznroots guy Tim Williams goes bonkers over "Stellae"....and yer darn tootin' they are a cult guitar. And you saw why. A Stella can fetch a good buck.
Yeah, the fact that I'm still thinking about that little guitar a year and a half later makes me wonder if I should have just bought it. :frown:

·
Registered
129 Posts
RIFF WRATH said:
Has any one heard of the following:
Stella; ARCIIKraft; Pirles; Zen-On; also Suzuki (this one is due for a Pete Townsend performance), and a Sears.
By deduction? they appear to be 60's or early 70's.
My first guitar was a Suzuki D-18 copy that my parents bought for me in 1975 for about $110 from a little family run music store in a mall. I'm pretty sure at that price it was not a solid top or sides or back :D . The neck warped over time, but I never humidified it (who knew?) and it didn't get played much after about 10 years. I think the tone was passable, but not good. Definite Townsend material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts