• Other

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • No Vibrato Please

Votes: 41 27.9%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
OFR... but really, any Floyd style tremolo with a Tremsetter works fine.

I like it 'cause of the tuning stability, fine tuning pegs, locking nut, etc... greatest invention ever I tells you! Can add so much color to your playing if you know how to use it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I voted for the Floyd because I think if you are going to have a guitar with a tremolo on it that you are going to use more than ocasionally (i.e You're a whammy bar freak) there really is no better choice. The Floyd, for all of its faults, is a dependable and capable tremolo system.

That's not to say that a Floyd is the only way to go, but if I only had one guitar and I liked to whammy, it would be the one I'd pick. I personally prefer a hard tail in reality.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
i always use the fender vintage style- 6 screws.
flush and tight against body- i throw the wammy bar away. i honestly cringe anytime i hear somebody using one lol. i prefer the subtlety of a neck bend, or i sometimes grab the upper horn of the guitar and quickly shake the guitar back and forth- or applying tension to the strings behind the nut.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
That's not to say that a Floyd is the only way to go, but if I only had one guitar and I liked to whammy, it would be the one I'd pick. I personally prefer a hard tail in reality.
I didn't vote... but that said, of all my guitars I have only one dedicated as a tremelo guitar, and that one has a Floyd Rose. If it didn't have that I probably would have an Ibanez with an Edge II or some such (as I understand that these are allegedly even better than the original Floyd design)... simply for the versatility it offers. Nine times out of ten I want a hard-tail supple enough for me to bend all my notes at will; that's my default preference.

Sometimes, however, a guitar equipped with a Floyd is a wonderful thing to have as a recording instrument... a really nice guitar with a floating tremelo can be a very supple thing to work with. I dislike total technical wankery and dive-bombing runs galore, but used judiciously such techniques can add a helluvalot to a composition. You just can't do with the old tremelos what you can with the 'new' ones - the pitch range is far greater, the response far more predictable, the consistency generally far more dependable.

But all the same... most of my tremelo-equipped guitars have been 'fixed' so that the only bending that's happening is with my fingers.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kind of like the Bigsby myself. I have a few guitars with them. I find them to be really smooth, if you know what I mean. A lot of range with them. Fairly easy to set up as well, at least that has been my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I never used an old fender trem, I will put that on my list to try! For now I have the Fishman's one! For me it perfect. I never use the whammy bar, only push/grab the trem at is base, or sometime hit it very fast with my palm but the bar is useless. I do prefer the stoptail, easier to set with different tuning and no mess up with longs settings. Once I had a Jackson Performer with the Floyd's system and I really hate it. ALways complicated to fix up so I sold it and pass to another thing! That's not my game and I don't shred so no Floyd for me!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Washburn Wonderbar/Shift 2001. A shortlived 80s relic but still working perfectly. The original selling point for me was that there was no routing required. Simple four bolt top mount on a strat style body that was never routed for a tailpiece.

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
i have only had any real experience with the trem on my strat, i dont know how to use one effectively as yet.

suffice it to say, i havent voted :p

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
The fingers on my left hand.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...american standard, but only because the upgraded american deluxe isn't listed.

the one on my 86 strat plus works flawlessly.

i've never tried the wilkinson bridge, but hope to one day.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
i always use the fender vintage style- 6 screws.
flush and tight against body- i throw the wammy bar away. i honestly cringe anytime i hear somebody using one lol.
...so you can't listen to steve vai, joe satriani, hank marvin, jeff beck....etc etc etc....????

-dh

·
Registered
872 Posts
Two that I've used and really like are the Music Man one and Ibanez SAT pro bridge. A friend has a Ibanez SA with it and the thing just works great.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
You didn't list a Floyd Rose, only a Floyd Rose II.

As it was explained to me, the FR II is a single locking FR and is a pale comparison of the OFR.

I'll take a double locking Floyd or a good licensed version.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts