The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my FaceBook.
I'm a mechanic during the day and quite often do various "favours" for my "friends" in my home garage.
This inconveniences me, as usually I have to move my own projects out of the way to fit a vehicle in to work on it.

The other day, I posted on FaceBook to my "friends" about borrowing a pressure washer to spray off my deck.
Even offered to barbeque as a thank you
That's the response my post garnered.

I was pretty disappointed, and I think the backyard shop might close for good, no more guitar repairs or vehicle repairs.

Well maybe not for good; I think I'll take the summer off from the "Backyard side job"

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Raised in a family of mechanic's and they are the most taken advantage people on the planet. People expect freebees as the norm and when you pull the plug they don't want anything to do with you. Stop doing freebees now you don't need them kind of friends. Do Accountants do their friends tax for free. Does the dentist fix their friends teeth for free ? No and No. Stop working on other peoples scrap now, unless you got some serious cash in your hand before the job starts.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a gas pressure washer riding around in the back of my truck right now. You're welcome to borrow it. I'll be in the area of 99th street and 38 Ave most nights this week.

And no I don't need anything fixed.

Pm me, I'm off tomorrow and weds morning.
might arrange for some BBQ as well.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Was gonna offer up my washer to borrow also. Edit.

Sorry just realized your in EDM, for some reason I thought you were in GTA region. Disregard.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Raised in a family of mechanic's and they are the most taken advantage people on the planet. People expect freebees as the norm and when you pull the plug they don't want anything to do with you. Stop doing freebees now you don't need them kind of friends. Do Accountants do their friends tax for free. Does the dentist fix their friends teeth for free ? No and No. Stop working on other peoples scrap now, unless you got some serious cash in your hand before the job starts.
Haha. I am a retired welder.

Funny how many phone calls I got that said: "It's just a five minute job."

My standard reply was: "It takes me fifteen minutes to get in my truck/get to the shop, and there's a minimum half-hour charge."

The ONLY exceptions were immediate family, --

And small repairs to American boats and trailers: "Just bring me a fish." The Yanks would bring one every day as long as they were in Canada. Your friends should be that appreciative. Lol.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
The ONLY exceptions were immediate family, --

I hear that. Family is the only side work right now. Even then, I just suggest to bring something for the kids...not like they need more toys but whatever. I also take food...food is good.

Sent from my SM-G386W

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Try being a computer tech. I only serve close friends in dire emergencies and family now. I refer a lot of business to a local shop. I don't have time to stay on top of all the malware exploits out there these days. Quit clicking on stupid shit people!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I quit doing side jobs for all except family and those who do a good deal of good deeds for others because it took my time away from my own projects. It sounds selfish but I wasn't getting anything crossed off my list, which was getting larger

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can fix my guitar, right?
Can I borrow your ______ CD?
Sub for me.
I need a guitar for tonight.
Great, you've got a trailer.
Until I get a truck can I grab yours?
Been asked all of those.
Trailer was the best thing I've ever bought

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
You can fix my guitar, right?
Can I borrow your ______ CD?
Sub for me.
I need a guitar for tonight.
Great, you've got a trailer.
Until I get a truck can I grab yours?
Yup, you can borrow the truck and trailer.....just take the garbage in them to the dump first and let me know how much it costs. And the tank is almost empty so could you fill it. You need a guitar? I have one for sale. And yeah, I'll change the plugs in your car when you buy them and since you're not going anywhere while I do that could you tape and mud the drywall in the basement. But mostly, "The sun is shining, the wife is out of town and the girlfriend called and wants to go for a ride. I'm out of here." Luckily for me most of my friends would say yes and supplied refreshments on top of that.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a text last night while eating...
"I think the Water pump is leaking on my durango"
The One you just bought?
"yup"
Then take it back to where you bought it, It's been less than 90 days, they Have to fix it under warranty

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Try working in the electronics business. I did a lot of free stuff and got lots of experience - but FA else. I refused to work on anyone's car stereos - I told requestors I didn't even fix my own, I paid someone else to do it. I hate climbing under dashes and into trunks. They'd get indignant. o_O

My fave was a barely-tolerable cousin who bought an 80's Cadillac cheap because "all that's wrong with it is the computer". He shoves this completely potted, 5"X7" PCB loaded with proprietary tech at me, said it would cost $500 for a refurbed unit and asked if I could fix it for him. I told him I would only charge him $35/hour (half of the going rate at the time) but considering the research I'd have to do, the jigs I'd have to build to test and trouble-shoot it, I said I'd need at least a $1500 retainer just to start it. And he'd probably still owe me some when it was done. Kind of dampened the 'cheap Cadillac' bragging.

I still fix stuff for family. When I go back to the prairies, there's usually a little list of things that need sorting out. Nothing that complicated, usually settings and cabling.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Do Accountants do their friends tax for free.
Yes. Our accountant has been a family friend for 25 years and our kids grew up together. She's had some bad luck in the past few years (divorce, accident that has made it impossible to work full time, etc). Its been like pulling teeth to get her to take some money but after 15 years of doing if for free we started insisting on paying something 3 years ago. And its still not very much.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
unfortunately, my experience is that most friends and family are just that way to begin with...unless you are of immediate use to them...you'll never hear from them...but then BAM...soon as they need something its "HEY BUDDY!!"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts