The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's obvious that whomever is on this thread or reading it is a bass player.

The other rhythym guitar player and I are seriously thinking of taking up bass. I think it would be incredible if we had the chops to play lead/rhythym and bass. Plus it would expand our horizons.

Who plays both besides Laristotle?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I play both, but usually just bass in bands. I find bass and guitar go hand in hand because a good general knowledge of guitar chords can take you a long way in creating basslines and help you improve faster.

I like both bass and guitar equally, but I started bass first.

·
Premium Member
16,627 Posts
I used to play both, for the brief time I was a hired bassist.

It's a good skill to have, but I wouldnt be anticipating to switch instruments repeatedly throughout a set - no one likea dead air on stage.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I play both ...

But i am a true blood Bass Man first and foremost.

Hell, I even had a drum set at one point to be able to play as much as I wanted since it was mine...

Also went and got a saxophone ( that is very hard to play) to get the life experience on it, Sax is such a cool instrument !:cool:

All that to always come back to the bass baby !!!;) Im the pocket... I'm the beat...

Helps to play different instruments... you develop your style.

The best added feature of being a Bass Man is that everywhere I go, there is 300 guitarist, 150 singers , 50 drummers and 1 Bass Man Baby !!! :cool:

:D

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I play both ...

But i am a true blood Bass Man first and foremost.

Hell, I even had a drum set at one point to be able to play as much as I wanted since it was mine...

Also went and got a saxophone ( that is very hard to play) to get the life experience on it, Sax is such a cool instrument !:cool:

All that to always come back to the bass baby !!!;) Im the pocket... I'm the beat...

Helps to play different instruments... you develop your style.

The best added feature of being a Bass Man is that everywhere I go, there is 300 guitarist, 150 singers , 50 drummers and 1 Bass Man Baby !!! :cool:

:D
I play lead guitar primarily, but I'm also a gigging bassist.

I also got a sax to learn to play. Haven't got far with it yet.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I play both - but prefer to play guitar. Some nights, it just has to happen.

Case in point, two weeks ago I went to a buddies jam. As I got there, he had to leave to get a friend at the skytrain station. So I set up and warmed up. He arrives back after 15 minutes with a loaded lush, mickeys in each back pocket. That was our 'bassplayer du jour'. Although usually a decent player (they tell me), they guy couldn't play a basic I-IV-V pattern. So the 3 guitar players there (myself included) took turns playing bass and keeping the lush off of it. He still wanted to play, he just couldn't.

I think any guitar player that can follow rhythm patterns and play the chords to a song can play bass. Sure, you won't be Paul McCartney or Chris Squire, but you can hold down the bottom end and tie the drums to the rest of the band. It ain't rocket science.

Reactions: Frenchy99

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Although usually a decent player (they tell me), they guy couldn't play a basic I-IV-V pattern. So the 3 guitar players there (myself included) took turns playing bass and keeping the lush off of it. He still wanted to play, he just couldn't.
A gig I did 3 years ago, we were doing 3 sets in the night...

When came the 2nd set, both the led guitarist and drummer could not even play the same song or keep up...

I packed up and left....

Party afterwards Guy's, the gig comes first...

L

·
0 Posts
This is pretty much how I started (not quite that many guitars though. lol).
I got together with 3 other members on this forum for an afternoon jam.
I brought my cousin's bass, just in case (on permanent loan. he refuses to sell it to me).
Anyhoo .. I got volunteered to play it and I LIKED IT!

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
I play both--was reluctant to start bass--but didn't take long to change my mind.
I prefer guitar and think of my self more as a guitar player--but at this point I think of my self as a guitar player & a bass player.
Not a virtuoso on either, but I can play them...

Reactions: Frenchy99 and Lola

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,794 Posts
I started out as a bass player. "You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket." - Victor Wooten

I love playing bass if I'm playing along with a drummer that I really connect with. Otherwise, it collects dust and my chops aren't nearly what they used to be. Guitar has been my main instrument for around 15 years by now.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
I was in a three piece for years and we'd have to change out instruments out of necessity.
Whenever either of us would sing, we'd be playing guitar.
So, we had to strategically make up the sets to accomodate that.

Here in town, I'd jammed with some guys from work as the bass player.
I'd always say that the other guy in town with a bass was busy.
That's where I got into using my fingers to pick and enjoyed that a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
I play both.

At the tender age of 19, after years of piano, voice, and guitar, I attended auditions for guitar in a country and Elvis band. This would have been 1977. I didn't care about the material, I just wanted a pro level band to cut my teeth on, get some live experience, network a bit, and maybe jump to a better band in time. By the time it came to my turn to audition, I was told they'd already hired a guitarist, but if I played bass I could audition for that. I didn't play bass...at all...but I could sight sing from hymnals, play bass lines by ear on guitar and piano so I thought how hard could it be? Being country and Elvis, apparently not hard at all as they hired me on the spot using a bass they had at the hall. That week I went out and bought a Fender Mustang Bass and a Yamaha (I think) amp. After some technique pointers from a friend who played a bit, I was fine. Since then I've gigged almost as much on bass as on guitar...almost only because I haven't had a regular bass gig for several years. In some ways I prefer to gig on bass if I have lots of freedom.

Heck, if keyboard players have to learn the ins and outs of both registers, why not guitar players?

Doubling or tripling in bands can lead to some pretty cool arrangements and combinations. Usually shared rigs makes things easier. Sometimes it means not splitting the pay so many ways.

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
I play both. I started playing bass by accident when I was recruited to play bass for a musical at my kids' school. I was going to borrow a bass, but a few days later, I found a cheap Yamaha bass on consignment at the local shoppe. Next thing I knew, our jam group was a band and I was the bassist.

I also play bass a fair bit in my church as there seems to be a chronic shortage of bassists in our congregation.

I almost never play bass at home - I get very little joy from playing bass on my own. For that it has got to be guitar.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
I also play bass a fair bit in my church as there seems to be a chronic shortage of bassists in our congregation.
That kind of happened with me--we have others that rotate on bass--but I was the first regular one.
Which is okay--I still play guitar sometimes as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts