The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
davetcan said:
I paid $1200 US for my C66 from carvin. Active electronics, Both pickups can be split, out of phase switch, plus a fishman piezo for accoustic and a blend knob for any combo of electric/accoustic you desire. Swiss Army knife of guitars, great build quality, and sounds killer in all positions.
Having said all that it's probably more than you want to spend :)

that C66 has some major drool factor....sweet axe :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
davetcan said:
I'm over 50 so it took me awhile to figure it all out :)

Both pickups can be split independently. The phase switch only works with both pups in Hum or Single configuration. There are 2 input jacks, so, you can run the electric side of the guitar to your amp, and the accoustic side to the PA or an accoustic amp. If you just plug into the electric jack you can still blend accoustic/e;ectric but you're only using your electric amp for accoustic, not the best scenario, but it still sounds pretty good.
Only downside, you need to replace the battery every once in awhile. You can order this setup from them on a cheaper guitar, you don't have to "gussie" it up like mine. My mom passed away a couple of years ago so I bought the guitar out of the estate. She was a red head and I thought it kinda fit. I've got her name on the trussrod cover, thank you carvin.
davetcan, many friends have told me over the years that when they ask me what the time is, that I first explain how the clock is built and then eventually, I get to tell them what time it is. I'm doing it again :) I constantly find myself asking "is this phrase necessary" to say what I want to say. It doesn't work too well with the fast pace of life and especially in a forum such as this here. I write a whole bunch of words then I "thin it out" and what's left often make people go huh?? And I try to be funny on top of that .. often a bad combination. So it's not you or the age you're at don't worry. It's a hopeless situation but I have to keep at it and maybe someday, I'll be cool and to the point... yeah ok :D

This does sound like the swiss army knife type of guitar and it may just be what I'd need right now. I like the versatility, the 2 input jacks, the blending options and so on. It's a gorgeous guitar too (and the price range is not too too bad). I'm starting to think that this quest for good tones has to have a reference somewhere. I wish that you could rent guitars, take it home for a weekend, a week and experiment. I feel intimidated trying guitars in music stores.

I may need to reconsider my *plan* in the sense that I might be better getting a good quality *versatile* guitar such as this one and establish some references as far as good tonalities and then later on, venture into *fixing/building up* lesser quality instruments.

It's a nice *souvenir* for you this particular guitar. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
17,236 Posts
A couple of things that will interest you then.

1. Carvin has a no questions asked 10 free trial. You can return the product just because you don't like it. You will have to cover the cost of shipping so there is some risk.

2. Shipping costs to Canada are usually 2 or 3 times what Carvin charges to ship in the USA. That sounds high until you realize that it includes ALL duty and Taxes. I think I paid around $50 to have the guitar shipped and that was it, nothing else.

I've bought a few things from them and have always been pleased. I did have to send one amp back but I had a replacement, at their cost, within a week.

You can go to their site and build a guitar to your specs or also check out the "guitars in stock" for sale items. You might just find something you like at a good price. If nothing else it's nice to browse the pictures.

When I said it took me a while to figure it out I meant the guitar, not you :)
You were clear as a bell.

http://www.carvin.com/guitar_bass/

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
davetcan, browsing the Carvin site, one gets a feeling that if you play a Carvin, that you’re part of a *cult*. You own a Mac as opposed to a Windows machine. What’s not to like? Large selection of wood, colors, edge of guitar square or rounded, lots of electronic possibilities and so on. Yet people don’t seem to talk much about Carvin.

Some models are available with their M-series tune-o-matic bridges. “This bridges is set into a routed pocket on special heavy studs. The strings feed through the body which creates increased downward pressure on the bridge resulting in exceptional sustain and tone.” Do you know if you select a model that has this feature and if you choose to add one of the tremolo bridge that it *cancels* this feature? In other words, are the strings still fed through the body, on the trem bridge and up the neck? Any opinions about these options?

Imported_goods, nobody comes off as a pompous jackass here... yet :D I appreciate your time. I think of intonation as the distance that a string *floats* between the nut and the bridge. There may be something wrong there (most likely). And I don’t know just yet if intonation also includes the distance of the top of PUs away from strings on an electric guitar. And there may be something wrong there too. A good set up will make a difference. And about “your tone is in your hand..”, if *damn awful* is how I think about my tones right now, it goes to show you how *good* my hands are right now ;) You’re right there and I know it.

Lester B. Flat, you’re describing my state of mind pretty much with your observation about players not being happy with their sound and wanting to buy something to cure the problem. I’m not sure if I ever really liked this guitar in the first place. And between that and a lack of a proper set up, of course I think that buying *something* will help *improve*. I have to take my time this time and get an instrument that I’m really going to like. Then later on, if i do get in this frame of mind (which I know I will), then I’ll know that it’s time to take a little *break* and blame the player and not the equipment :)

Tarl and others who mentioned Godin, I checked (online) the Exit 22 and I like it a lot. I’ll check it out for sure next time I see one in a shop. I might even consider one of the Freeway (the Classic or the Floyd).

Cheers! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
61 Posts
ofender said:
And I don’t know just yet if intonation also includes the distance of the top of PUs away from strings on an electric guitar. And there may be something wrong there too.
Nope, intonation is indeed about string distance between the nut and the bridge.

Basically, if you check your tuning with a tuner, you should make sure you're getting exactly the same tuning when you play an open string and then the same string on the 12th fret (one octave higher). If you're a bit sharp or flat at the 12th fret, you're intonation is off, and it will affect your capacity to sound "in tune" when playing up and down the fretboard or when fingering chords.

When the strings are too close to the PU's the you will lose sustain because of the PU's magnet's pull on the strings. If too far, the sound becomes thin and weak.

p.s.
Looks like you got a bad case of GAS going down, ofender :D

You might want to warn your loved ones that you've come down with a chronic disease for which there is no cure known to man...My wife is thinking of starting a support group for bereaved spouses...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Imported_goods said:
p.s.
Looks like you got a bad case of GAS going down, ofender :D

You might want to warn your loved ones that you've come down with a chronic disease for which there is no cure known to man...My wife is thinking of starting a support group for bereaved spouses...
"Look honey, there's a single pick up here, one here and another here. I *need* and extra one beside this one, and maybe another one beside the last one here. Without these, I just can't progress anymore". ;) :D Honey? Where did you go?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
CocoTone said:
Can't get much more versatile than a Strat in my book. Blues, rock, fusion, it'll do it all. You can even get a decent jazz box tone from the neck PU with the tone rolled back.

CT.
CT, I got a bad case of GAS going down. So please convince me that I *need* a *good* Strat :D :D

I'm certainly not discarding having a Strat.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If it's a Strat or Tele that you're after, have you considered building your own? Since a Strat is a bolt together deal it's not too difficult for a non-luthier type. There are lots of places to order bodies and necks. You can choose the wood type, neck shape and outfit it with the hardware of your choice. Finish it the way you like. It'll be a custom made guitar for a fraction of the cost. It just won't say Fender on it. I'm going to build myself a Tele thinline.

:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lester B. Flat said:
If it's a Strat or Tele that you're after, have you considered building your own? Since a Strat is a bolt together deal it's not too difficult for a non-luthier type. There are lots of places to order bodies and necks. You can choose the wood type, neck shape and outfit it with the hardware of your choice. Finish it the way you like. It'll be a custom made guitar for a fraction of the cost. It just won't say Fender on it. I'm going to build myself a Tele thinline.

:DevilGuitar:
Lester B, I don't have the confidence/knowledge and especially experience to tackle something like this right now. When I was a teenager, I build a snare drum. I laugh when I thing about it now but it was a fun project. I didn't have the tools to work with solid pieces of wood and plane them down to a smaller thickness and so on. So I worked with 1/16 inch plywood :D

I cut 3 pieces so that the lenght of the outside ply when rolled was 14" in diameter, the second piece a little smaller so that it fitted in the first, and the third one a little smaller so that if fitted in the secong one. I made forms out of other plywoods with a 14" circle in the middle of each. I used a coleman stove with a large pot and heated the wood over boiling water.

I kept working each pieces until they retained a circular shape on their own. I put the outside layer in the forms, glued the inside (contact glue), glued the outside of second ply and stuck them together patiently (with the seam offsetted about a third of the way). Did the same with the inner layer. Put the lugs on and everything and it ended up being not too bad.

So *building* a guitar is something that has crossed my mind many times. I know about kits and you can probably come up with something pretty decent but it's for later.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Lester B. Flat said:
Yeah, I hear ya. I don't have the knowledge or experience either, only the confidence!:D
And you'll gain that kind of experience too :) I think I mean by experience something more like guitar playing experience or something, different necks, PUs, guitar shape and thickness, ... (and a bit of time to mature musically).

You've probably played with a thinline if you're confident ;) or motivated enought to tackle building one. That should be a very interesting project.

Have fun :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
ofender said:
CT, I got a bad case of GAS going down. So please convince me that I *need* a *good* Strat :D :D

I'm certainly not discarding having a Strat.
I don't know how I can convince you, cept maybe to tell you to listen to Hendrix at Monterey doing Like a Rolling Stone. If that tone don't convince you, just find a good one, and play it thru your fave amp, or a good non master vol amp, The rest will be history.

CT.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey,

another couple suggestions would be:

1- equipe any guitar with a set of fralin unbuckers. they are humbuckers that are unevenly wound resulting in a better high end response from th wound strings uncommon with humbuckers. the other advantage is you can the outer coikls are the ones wound hotter so they are much better than regular HB's for coil tapping. they offer a hotter single coil than splitting a trad. HB. offering a more accusrate single coil tone. you can wire it up in a HB/s/HB setup and have grat sounding strat setup when tapped or humbucker tones when running full on.

2- i worked on a schecter the other day a relativly inexpensive guitar but the switching was cool. it was a 2 HB setup with a 5 way strat switch. HB/s/both singles/s/HB was very cool. that kinda setup with some nice HBs would be great to.

good luck. Ted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tele Custom FMT

Hey,

The most versatile guitar I've ever played (and ended up buying) was the Fender Telecaster Custom FMT. I got it at Axe for like $800 and it was well worth it. You can check out the reviews at harmonycentral.com or musiciansfriend.com they will speak for themselves.
It is a dual humbucker with the coiltap giving it an amazing variety of sounds. It is also an excellent sounding guitar and I never plan on selling it. It is still my favourite over my explorer and deluxe strat.
Good luck

21 - 40 of 42 Posts