1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Hey Alex, cool guitar. But without any reference to compare it to, and being as it is a non-standard body shape, I'm having a hard time getting the whole picture.

Is it a smaller bodied, shorter scaled acoustic? It also looks like all the string pairs are the same size (rather than the smaller, octave strings paired with the standard strings)? So everything is just tuned up an octave?

I've never heard of one of these, although I have possibly heard one. Interesting, I guess it would fill in a neat niche for recording.

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Alex, cool guitar. But without any reference to compare it to, and being as it is a non-standard body shape, I'm having a hard time getting the whole picture.

Is it a smaller bodied, shorter scaled acoustic? It also looks like all the string pairs are the same size (rather than the smaller, octave strings paired with the standard strings)? So everything is just tuned up an octave?

I've never heard of one of these, although I have possibly heard one. Interesting, I guess it would fill in a neat niche for recording.
Yes, small bodied and strings same size. I'll try to get better pictures up. It fills the Mandolin craving and not have to learn new fingering positions. I really like this instrument.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Who's Joe Gore?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Alex, I am an all-out fan of 12 string guitars but can I play devil’s advocate here?
I just find the Gryphon very expensive for such a “specialty” instrument. You can buy a very decent full blown 12 string for this price. Sorry but I just don’t get these at all. But all that matters, of course, is that you enjoy the instrument. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and what kind of strings?
They are available on the Veillette website but haven't gone that far yet.

Who's Joe Gore?
Was an editor at Guitar Player Magazine and recorded with Tom Waits. See link

joegore.com

Alex, I am an all-out fan of 12 string guitars but can I play devil’s advocate here?
I just find the Gryphon very expensive for such a “specialty” instrument. You can buy a very decent full blown 12 string for this price. Sorry but I just don’t get these at all. But all that matters, of course, is that you enjoy the instrument. Cheers!
Daniel, agreed - to each his/her own!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I just stumpled on this thread. I think it looks and sounds fantastic. I have been working on a massive jobsite in Ottawa since January and can only bring along a acoustic guitar to play in my condo. That would get a lot of love from me.

Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Joe's performance video of the Beach Boys tune "Surf's Up" showcases what the Gryphon does, and adds, so well. He seems to have a deep understanding of Brian Wilson's music. Super nice guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts