The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Vegas Trip (Grand Prix)

3K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  GuitarsCanada 
#1 · (Edited)
We are heading down to Vegas April 2nd to the 9th. Since we are not gamblers, really going down for the Champ Car race on the 7th, 8th and 9th, we have put together a fairly good week. I was hoping to get in on a headlining comedy show, or maybe a concert but so far nothing is popping up. Of course you have the Celine Dion, Barry Manilow and Elton John shows but they are big bucks and I don't want to see them that bad. I sat through Manilow 3 times back in the 80's.

Tuesday we have the Elvis Extravaganza at the Sahara. I never got to see him so this is my big thing.

Wed we have tickets for "O" at the Bellagio. Cirque du Soleil

Thur we have tickets for David Copperfield at the MGM Grand

Friday during the day we are going on a Chopper thing to the Grand Canyon. That will be very cool.

Sat and Sun will be race days.

I am going to see if we can get into the Prince show at Rio, if he will be there any night that is open.

We got a fairly sweet deal on the flights and hotel (out of Detroit) so since we dont gamble I figure may as well spend some cash on shows and crap.

Does anybody have any must see attractions in Vegas that we should look at?

See less See more
#2 ·
Barry Manilow? He's still alive?

The Drop of Doom on top of the Stratosphere is a must do, it is really neat. The Hoover dam tour is really good if you're into that kind of thing. I'll get the name of the little club I've been to a couple of times from a buddy of mine down there (I used to do contract work in south-eastern nevada and south-western utah). It was a great little blues club and the music and players were fantastic (that is if it is still there, it's been 10 years since I worked down there).

#4 ·
Ripper said:
Barry Manilow? He's still alive?

The Drop of Doom on top of the Stratosphere is a must do, it is really neat. The Hoover dam tour is really good if you're into that kind of thing. I'll get the name of the little club I've been to a couple of times from a buddy of mine down there (I used to do contract work in south-eastern nevada and south-western utah). It was a great little blues club and the music and players were fantastic (that is if it is still there, it's been 10 years since I worked down there).

That club would be cool. If you get the name of it, pass it along. We actually stayed at the Stratosphere a few years back (our first trip there) and went on all those rides. That was a 4 day trip and we really did not get to see a lot. We did drive out to the Hoover Dam, that was about it on that trip.

#7 ·
Okay I called my buddy, The one place to check out is the Sand Dollar Blues Lougne (it used to be the Sand Dollar Bar). Lots of great blues and tunes. The other place he recommended the Double Down Saloon, it has lots of good music (rock, ska, reggae etc).

Hope that helps. Alot of the little places I went to I wouldn't recommend going to unless you were with a local for sure.

#9 ·
Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller Penn and Teller..................

#11 ·
www.pollstar.com is a great site to see what's going on in a city.

The yardbirds are playing Vegas when you're there. Too bad you're missing ZZ Top.

#12 ·
GuitarsCanada said:
We did go see Penn and Teller on the first trip, forgot to mention that. It was a really good show. A round of golf would be great, maybe Marnie can caddy for me.

Thanks for the info on those bars, we will check that out for sure.
Caddying does involve driving the cart and drinking so it should be an easy sell. It's alot less frustrating than the actual game.

#14 ·
Oh Yeah Vegas!! :banana:

My wife and I aren't gamblers either but we love it there. We did the Identical trip to what you are planning last August!

We did the Dream Catcher Helicopter flight! It was an incredible experience and worth every cent.........although I don't remember it being as costly as it says here?Maverick

"O" was incredible and Copperfield blew my mind! If I can make one suggestion, see Celine Dion!! I rate it as one of my top 5 shows I have ever seen in my life. Pink Floyd being #1. The show is ending this year so this is a once in a lifetime event. I have never heard someone sing so perfect and the visual show is spectacular. Just do it man!

#16 · (Edited)
Viva Las Vegas

GuitarsCanada said:
Thats wild man.... we are looking forward to the Grand Canyon tour. I think I was looking at another operator though. Link is below. I have not booked this yet but am going to before we leave. I am not sure about Celine, I know she can sing but I would prefer to spend the cash on another act.

http://www.lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com/
I've heard other people speak ill of him in this forum.....But......you have to check out Ed Roman Guitars. You just have to
The worlds largest guitar store!............if that doesnt pump your nazz then I dont know what will?

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Hoover dam is incredible. Do you get to do the tour as well or just the flyover?

The last time I was in Vegas all I did was play poker and hit the trade show. I hope my boss doesn't see that. If I get sent down again I plan on taking my wife. There's a ton of stuff to do there.

#25 ·
GuitarsCanada said:
Faracaster, we have tickets for "O" already, but I will check into the Beatles thing. Sounds like it might be cool.
I was told not to sit too close. It breaks the magic somehow. Yeah I know some tech guys that worked on developing the show and even they were impressed.
Hope you are having a great time !!!!
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.