The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super normal ad incoming:

Here's what I'm looking for: a thinline tele of some kind, partscasters welcome, hoping to spend <$400 to my door (in London willing to travel). If you have something in a higher price bracket, let me know and I may have some guitars/gear that could facilitate a trade +/- cash. I know it's optimistic, but I thought I would ask, thanks!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I'm getting uncomfortably close to that dad vintage myself and have a guitar playing son like you. However, he steals from me, not the other way around. So, I've tried to short circuit that behaviour by gifting him a Fogdart telestrat for Children's Day last year (Note: our kids are basically unionized and years ago they bitched about why was there a Mother's Day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day. As first time parents way back then (while dodging dinosaurs), we caved and christened July 1 as Children's Day (sorry Canada)). Anyway, that has seemed to work so far. Oh yeah, I don't answer his phone calls any more, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A bit tasteless bud.
Apologies friend, no offense meant.
So, I've tried to short circuit that behaviour by gifting him a Fogdart telestrat for Children's Day last year
I'm getting it from both ends (no double entendre intended). My two sons are under 5 and I bought them a short scale electric and ukulele to mess around on. Trouble is they only want to play my full sized guitars. I'm very much looking forward to the day I can simply ignore their pleas for help!

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I'm getting uncomfortably close to that dad vintage myself and have a guitar playing son like you. However, he steals from me, not the other way around. So, I've tried to short circuit that behaviour by gifting him a Fogdart telestrat for Children's Day last year (Note: our kids are basically unionized and years ago they bitched about why was there a Mother's Day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day. As first time parents way back then (while dodging dinosaurs), we caved and christened July 1 as Children's Day (sorry Canada)). Anyway, that has seemed to work so far. Oh yeah, I don't answer his phone calls any more, just to be safe.

Children's day is every day except fathers day and mothers day.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Apologies friend, no offense meant.
I got the little bit of humor you were trying to inject. Some people are just a bit too sensitive. This is why we are in an era where its pretty much the end of comedy. Cause everyone gets offended.
I remember once sitting down to lunch with a couple coworkers years ago and commenting "Wow I'm starving" and one of the female co workers started to chastize me about how dare I say that when I have no idea what starving is and there are people in the world who are truly starving. Not fun people to be around.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Don't think so but I won't get into why I feel this way. Good luck with your guitar search, it's half the fun of the hobby we're in.

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
For me, I wish there are more people in my family who would at least have an interest in my guitars. :( There are over 40 people now in my family. None, except for my one daughter who is trying to learn it. I did give her an acoustic but I don't know where she's at right now. Otherwise, none.. :(

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Don't think so but I won't get into why I feel this way. Good luck with your guitar search, it's half the fun of the hobby we're in.

We all have pain in our lives where we could be offended by anothers thoughtless comment. Why go around spreading that pain. We've all said things that may have struck a nerve in others and weren't even aware. Unless your perfect.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I'm very much looking forward to the day I can simply ignore their pleas for help!
Not to utterly derail this thread but don't hold your breath - I'm not sure Your Time Is Gonna Come [sic]. Maybe you meant pleas for help that relate strictly to your personal musical equipment - I guess that's possible (as I said, stop answering the phone).

All meant in the best of spirits and TBH, and again in my experience, we are far more interested in our kids than they in us. As it should be. (I'm sure that somehow I'm gonna be slaughtered for this.)

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Not to utterly derail this thread but don't hold your breath - I'm not sure Your Time Is Gonna Come [sic]. Maybe you meant pleas for help that relate strictly to your personal musical equipment - I guess that's possible (as I said, stop answering the phone).

All meant in the best of spirits and TBH, and again in my experience, we are far more interested in our kids than they in us. As it should be. (I'm sure that somehow I'm gonna be slaughtered for this.)
Don't think you'll be slaughtered. Our children rely on us until they are of an age where they go make their own lives. They will never worry about us like we do about them from birth to our passing. And thats the end goal. That we pass first.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Wow I'm starving"
That isn't even sensitive, that's a crazy person. My initial guess would be 32+ BMI, short hair, 50% sure she has glasses, tried being a vegetarian/vegan at one point, wears a variety of floral blouses.
Don't think so but I won't get into why I feel this way.
Again, my bad. Merely trying to use surreal/absurdist humour to draw attention to the ad in a sea of vanilla titles.
we could be offended by anothers thoughtless comment
This is sort of my superpower. I've burned many bridges with Deans, directors etc at my university for being rather flippant and irreverent. My coworkers quite enjoy watching me derail my career trying to be funny. But, I was not trying to start a discussion about social norms and etiquette. Just want my dad to give me my guitar back.
I wish there are more people in my family who would at least have an interest in my guitars.
While I love seeing my kids try and sit and strum a giant jazz box, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if their love of guitars blossomed a bit later. It is super cool my two year old can identify make and model of the common Fender and Gibson guitars. This is currently his favourite bedtime story:

IMG_20210608_100635232.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,179 Posts
I got the little bit of humor you were trying to inject. Some people are just a bit too sensitive. This is why we are in an era where its pretty much the end of comedy. Cause everyone gets offended.
I remember once sitting down to lunch with a couple coworkers years ago and commenting "Wow I'm starving" and one of the female co workers started to chastize me about how dare I say that when I have no idea what starving is and there are people in the world who are truly starving. Not fun people to be around.
Comedy isnt dead, you just cant be bad at it.

OP, keep a close eye on gear hunter and check the $300-$500 tab.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
For me, I wish there are more people in my family who would at least have an interest in my guitars. :( There are over 40 people now in my family. None, except for my one daughter who is trying to learn it. I did give her an acoustic but I don't know where she's at right now. Otherwise, none.. :(
That's sad considering how much knowledge and skill you have. You can always adopt me :)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. Would something along these lines work? The entire CV line seems to have a solid reputation overall:
I had that one on the radar and that specific model seems to have positive feedback on most forum reviews. I'm not sure what to expect from a semi-hollow mahogany body, but that's not my problem lol.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Do you think they have the idea that learning guitar as an adult is not just simply hard, but impossible? Many people 40+ were raised with, or picked up from society, the idea that music must be learned at a young age. I was.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts