The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I wonder what you would choose if you were given the choice.
Both are used but mint. The HT-20 does not come with a cab, just the head.

What would you consider the best value (let say you like them both for the sound even if different)
Pros and cons?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,801 Posts
HT, because I've heard a VK sound good by one person and the HT series seem to get good reviews.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Namaste Budda,
Thanks for your input.
Here are the points I consider so far:
- The VK112 has 2 channels and the dirty channel as (2 stages) dial personalities with the boost. MH as 2 channels, clean and gain.
- VK112 has separate eqs for both channels, not the MH.

I believe the VK might be more versatile with plenty of tones ranging from "Fender ish" clean to blusy dirty to hard rock relatively high gain.

Any other points to consider?

·
Premium Member
16,801 Posts
The VK isnt really fender-ish from my time with one. Seperate EQ doesnt mean much if the base tones of the amp are not inspiring or highly enjoyable.

If you can, try both amps out. Buy the one that makes you want to keep playing.

I got to spend some time with a blackstar club (or something) combo and i found it was pretty versatile. The thing to remember about versatility in guitar gear is this: chances are that once you find a tone you like, you're gonna stick with it. 4 channels with reverb and fx level each doesnt do much when you live on ch 2 kind of thing.

Find an amp that makes you want to play.

L

·
0 Posts
Buy the one that makes you want to keep playing.
It really does come down to what sound you're after.
The BlackStar has EL34's, whereas the ValveKing has 6L6GC's.
I like EL34's. They have a grittier, British crunch. IMO. Which I prefer over 6L6's.
The ValveKing is versatile with it's adjustable 50/12/2 watt switching.
Also, if you go with the HT-20, then the hunt is on for a speaker cab.
Then we'll see a 'what's a good speaker to go with this?' thread from you. lol.

Can you afford to buy both?
Play with both of them, then sell the one that you don't want?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I made my mind and choose Blackstar. But it was too late...lol
Oh well...

Guess I will go back to Kijiji.
Thanks for you info.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the original question was more about the "perceived value" of the VK over HT. I should have told you that I own both of these amps at the moment I asked the question.

I love them both for diff reasons. The VK has new JJ tubes in It as well a brand new UK made Cestion G12 Vintage. It sounds really good. The HT is bone stock and it is a lovely amp. It is plugged on a Blackstar HTV412B.

I have been thinking about trading the VK (with the original Peavey speaker) plus some cash for the HT which seems pretty clean (like 9.5/10). Then, last week the guy I was suppose to trade with backed from the deal. Finally, this morning I added a MXR Micro-Chorus in the deal and VOILA! I should have it this thursday at home. Both HT will be plugged stereo.

I will now be on (a budget) quest to:
A) Sell my 4x12 and buy 2 used but decent 2x12 (prefered option), but they are hard to find)
B) Find another 4x12 (and lose the little space I had left in my music room...)

It is never easy? Is it. Oh Well! First world problem I know...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts