The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about cheap amps, not that anyone was, but Epiphone has released a head version of the 5 watt Valve Junior. In the US, you cant get it for $99US. People who have it say the noise problem has been solved. Others bought it so they could have a bushell of fun tearing it apart and modding it.

Anyone up here got one or curious??

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=269&CollectionID=13

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaggery said:
I saw it at L&M for a little over 150 CDN.
Given the Current X-change rate, that means $128.99 American. Compared to $99.99 in the US. Someone is making extra at our expense.:mad:

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Q_L_R said:
Could be wrong, but I'm guessing duty, etc., so thank the :2guns: CCRA.
Might be due to whole sale price charge by the Canadian Distributor - Yorkville Sound.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Apparently the head version fixes the hum problem in the combo - although I have read that the combos manufactured after Dec 2005 have that hum issue resolved. Anyone know about that? I'm considering getting one of these for a basement practice amp...

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canadian distributor has decided not to bring the Valve Jr, Head into Canada. They are just sticking with the combo only. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rollingdam said:
I priced one from Musicians Friend-total came to $160 US-but you would have to add brokerage fees,GST-just can't win
I guess that's what happens when you're Canadjuns. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
our little local music store told me yesterday that they had two on the way in and they should be here first of the week. I can't wait to try one.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I bought one last month at L&M and have already made a couple of mods. Best $150.00 amp I ever bought, and with the mods, sounds more like a $300.00 amp!

·
Registered
874 Posts
My bud with the VJ head just got a ToneBone Hot British pedal. Sounds great into the VJ through his 4x12.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tarbender said:
I bought one last month at L&M and have already made a couple of mods. Best $150.00 amp I ever bought, and with the mods, sounds more like a $300.00 amp!
What were the mods????????? Thxz.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
These are to mods that I'm following. I got these from the "18watter.com" web site. The discussion on the valve Jr. is currently 64 pages long and these are the most recommended mods.

The very first thing that I did was swap the tubes it came with - 20% improvement. The first real mod that I did was putting a toggle switch across R6 which acts as a gain boost when shorted. Then I replaced R7 with a 500k pot which allows me to dial in or out the gain. Unbelievable inprovement with just these 3 changes. Here's the direct quote from pg 30 of the thread:

"The minimum mods I would recommend, would be:
R1 1meg
R2 10K
R6 shorted out
R7 91k, or replaced with 500K or 250k pot, for Gain control
R8 1k or 1.5k (the exact value doesn't matter too much)
R9 620 ohms
R14 240 ohms
R10 1K 3W
C3 3.3uf (or anything between 2uF to 4.7uF to your taste)
C4 3.3uF ( .......................... ditto ..............................)
C5 1000uF "

I've also gone one step further and replaced the output transformer with a Hammond 125DSE for that last push of tone. Let me know if you need schematics, suppliers, etc... for the Toronto area or maybe you know some that I don't.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I wish they offered a 10-15 watt version of both the head and the combo. They do have the Epi Valve Standard, but it has those goofy DSP effects on it. I'd love something as simple as the Jr, but a little higher wattage.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts