The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out a buddy,s new VJ head through a Marshall 4x12 today at his place. He ordered it from the states for $170 Can taxes and shipping included. It is not the Holy Grail of amps by any means but it sure is a fun little unit for the money. A bit too much high end shrill for me but it can be tamed with an EQ peadal and the guitars tone controls. We tried it out for 3 hours with various peadals and guitars (76 Les Paul, Tokai Love Rock, Ibanez Sz and a Yamaha somethingorother my bud has) It seems to take to most pedals well as it definatly needs a boost to reach higher gain levels. On it,s own there is not much gain until the volume is at 1 oclock or better, then it,s into AC/DC type territory. Ran very quiet throughout the day. Other than the lack of clean headroom I think that through a 4x12 it could be gigged at small or medium venues with no problems. I took out my VFX with the new Avatar cab and we were both impressed with the rig. He also has a 18 watt handwired Marshall head we spent another 2 hours playing with....now that thing is getting closer to the grail...........

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep..he knows all about the mods. He is going to change the tubes first off and I,m not sure how far he is going to go with it. Personally I,m more interested in the new Epi So-Cal 50 head.

·
Premium Member
5,110 Posts
I didn't like the Valve Jr. combo at all when I tried it and Long and Mcquade, but I have heard the head is a better sounding amp.

When he Valve series first came out they had a TON of them at my local Long and Mcquade, then they didn't seem to get any. I'd love to try out one of the heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts