The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to sell my acoustic to get an electric, or maybe keep it and buy an electric depending on the outcome of this.

How much does a guitar depreciate due to damage? I have a Taylor 410ce, fine guitar but had a crack on the side near the electronics that was repaired at a shop. Just curious as to how that should impact the asking price, don’t wanna end up in my own wtf thread

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Blue Book of Guitar Values has the 410CE at $750 to $850 US in average condition. That crack, depending on the quality of the repair will bring you to slightly lower than average condition. You should do a comparison on Reverb, Kijiji, and Ebay to find an average going price of similarly aged Taylors 410 to determine value.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
The 410CE the op is selling has nothing to do with the current 410-this was the base Taylor model with mahogany back and sides and a bridge without bridge pins. The crack may have been repaired,however it is still there cosmetically. Some buyers may object to the trap door electronics. I personally would not pay more than $800 if I was interested.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
Some people don’t get fussy about normal wear and tear. List it for what it’s worth to you and see what happens.

Reactions: mike_oxbig

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Well I mean it’s a base 400 series, still better than that black blueridge ;) is the bridge a downgrade really? I think it’s kinda cool.

Taylor 410ce 1996 Natural Price Guide
That bridge was offered on the 400 series only and eventually disappeared from the Taylor lineup.

And you of all people who started the WTF on Kijiji thread should know better that to ask $1400 for the guitar...this is Ottawa remember?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
That is a significant crack when I first read it it sounded like it was by the electronics but its further down if I were going to sell I would look at the average minus 40% no matter how well it was fixed. While I know it won't effect the sound or play that crack is going to haunt the resale unlike normal wear and tear which only impacts slightly.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
As I am used to buy used guitars (and own a few used Taylors) I would say the crack would impair the price quite much adding that the used Taylors market seems expanding these years.
Now, the bridge, if not an issue, should add a historic value, as well as a Mahogany back on a 410.
If I had it for sale, I would start somewhere by 1250$ CAD and see what happens.
I paid a few hundreds more for players 412 (2008) last Fall and and 512 (1995 / pré all-bolted neck era) two years ago without crack through eB on the canadian market. I got a brand new 322 for just a bit more last summer.
P.S. a short video showing guitar and sound may help.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
To a player, if the crack is stable, it won't mean much. To a cork sniffing, must be collector grade, forumite.....

The only way to value this is to come up with a price that won't make you unhappy to sell it at and wait for the market to respond.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That bridge was offered on the 400 series only and eventually disappeared from the Taylor lineup.

And you of all people who started the WTF on Kijiji thread should know better that to ask $1400 for the guitar...this is Ottawa remember?
Oh, was it a defective design? Is it a bridge too far?

Tbh I thought to myself “this is Ottawa I should ask for more”. Reverb will have people thinking the cheapest used value is 2200+ shipping. Already have someone coming to look.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a significant crack when I first read it it sounded like it was by the electronics but its further down if I were going to sell I would look at the average minus 40% no matter how well it was fixed. While I know it won't effect the sound or play that crack is going to haunt the resale unlike normal wear and tear which only impacts slightly.
Agree, that’s the conditions under which I bought it. I got a good deal then had the crack fixed at a luthier.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well, a cutaway, sounds good and action does not seem to show any issue.
Valuable video to help sell in my opinion. ;-)

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
That damage looks like it would devalue the guitar between $200.00-300.00 Cdn.

Reactions: mike_oxbig
1 - 15 of 15 Posts