The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to sell the humbuckers from my '91 Les Paul Standard. I've been told their model numbers are 490R/498T. What would you think the pair would be worth for a sale on this forum's classified board? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,989 Posts
damn, that's just the set i want! AND you're in TO!

i'll wait till someone else pipes up, and then maybe we can talk :)

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
that's a REALY bad idea to sell those. one day you'll want to sell that LP, and the owner will ask for the original Pup's, you'll say you don't have them, and bam, you'll be loosing about 5 times more money then you made selling them,.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Agreed... provided, in the first place, you ever can even arrive at the decision that you want to sell that LP for cash. Lop off a lot of dinero if you can't provide all of the original hardware the beast came with.

Short-term gain in exchange for long-term pain, maybe?

I

·
0 Posts
I'm going to sell the humbuckers from my '91 Les Paul Standard. I've been told their model numbers are 490R/498T. What would you think the pair would be worth for a sale on this forum's classified board? Thanks.
They usually sell for considerably less than an off-the-shelf set of 490R/498T. First, they've had their leads clipped down to the shortest possible length as part of the factory install. Makes them harder to fit into anything but an LP with the exact same routing channel lengths as the one they came out of. The other thing is the stock LP pickups tend to be 2 wire which makes them less attractive to people wanting to do a more advanced install with coil taps and in phase/out of phase switching.

If you can find an Epi player looking for an upgrade to American pickups you shouldn't have a problem getting $100 or so for the pair. That's about 50% of the street price for the new 4-wire kind.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I will think about it.

I've replaced them with Lollar Imperials, a much better pickup...no mud, much better articulation across the spectrum, less output and therefore more potential for subtlety. In the meantime, Budda, make me an offer.

Do you all really think if I replace the originals with much better pickups, I"ll lose big time if I decide to sell? I mean, most buyers aren't collectors,are they?!

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Do you all really think if I replace the originals with much better pickups, I"ll lose big time if I decide to sell? I mean, most buyers aren't collectors,are they?!
A collector's item after 16 years, or even 25 years? I don' think so. I see stock mid 70s SGs going for less than $1500 often.

But I also keep stuff I've replaced.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will think about it.

I've replaced them with Lollar Imperials, a much better pickup...no mud, much better articulation across the spectrum, less output and therefore more potential for subtlety. In the meantime, Budda, make me an offer.

i check guits all the time, it's my hobby, for exemple, 2 identical strats from the mid 1980's both standard strat almost pefect shape, different in price was 300$ lower BECAUSE one did'nt have the original pup"s so yes it will make a MUCH difference. it's not a question of the new ones been better, but a question of not been the "right" ones realy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts