The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a huge Vai fanatic, justifiably :p The only thing I do not have is a Vai related is a tattoo. I am hoping to meet some of us who appreciate what Steve is about, how he keeps pushing the envelope with every release, keeps his sound fresh within his style, over and over again! Sharing my thoughts and hope to hear yours:

1. His music: Unique, flamboyant and just crazy! To me, the only guitarist who has delivered in every album since..forever! His depth in song writing is unparallel and so is his technique.

2. His techniques: The slides, the runs, the use of sustainer, whammy bar, wah, whammy pedal – all of it is just a joy to listen and learn off. Even his creative use of 7 string s blows me away.

2. His guitars : I got back to playing ibanez just cos of the Jem. It looks and sounds ridiculously good (not happy at the latest releases which are like 7 thousand bucks!). I have a 7v wh and a 70V sfg. i owned a few more like the 7dbk but got rid of em for other purchases.

3. His shows: Sheer joy to see him perform! I was at the P&W gig (in London, ON) and anything from his sound, stage presence, interaction, jokes, presentation - best I have seen. At one point, his rig crapped out and he still finished the song to perfection playing Dave’s guitars from behind him!

I can write all day really not cos I’m just another fan but how he, as a human being, has moved me every step of his career. He once invited me on stage to play with him in a guitar clinic, he met me and my friend and spoke for several minutes, answered all our questions but he didn’t have to. He gives back big time. His other endeavors like Generation Axe, Vai academy, supporting new guitar players etc…all really are examples.

What do you love about this guy? I have deeply been in love with Whispering a Prayer and covering it very soon. If you have Vai covers, share em. Here’s me playing Touching Tongues:

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
4. He gave Devin Townsend his first break. They remain good friends and occasionally work together. Notice the MC in Devin's recent rock-opera:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Saw Vai in Saskatoon last month. Small club. So close I got a guitar pick.

As we left a couple our age (sixties) asked whats going on in there and
I said:

"The world's most sensational guitar player." So there's my description.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a show he puts up! It is SO exhausting and we could see it on his face. I saw him as well recently; after generation axe, this was really an intense guitar show !

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I like Steve Vai as a guitar player and feel that technically, he is the best their is.

When it comes to the best, Steve said that Brian May holds that position.

Reactions: Man0warrioR
1 - 5 of 5 Posts