The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try a v shape neck to see how my old arthritic hands respond to it before I completely throw in the towel.
What production models (any brand/electric/acoustic) are out there today ?
Especially (potentially)in stock in the Kingston/Ottawa vicinity.(I'm halfway between)
New/used...don't matter.
Probably won't buy without playing
TIA

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
I don't know what's out there currently, apart from custom orders to Warmoth, or similar. I have a V-type profile on the neck of my pre-war Kalamazoo acoustic, and I have to say it is very comfortable for barre-chording. The V snuggles up in the little web between one's index finger and thumb, such that you don't have to use muscle tension to compensate for what is normally a gap between hand and neck. So if you haven't tried one yet, I think you might like it a lot.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
I actually have a rather fat baseball-bat skunk-stripe Tele neck I got from Saga, 20 years back. Did you do that shave/sand-down yourself? Perhaps I could make the Saga neck both V-shaped and more manageable by following suit.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
The Brad Paisley Tele has a fairly large soft V, bonus they are VERY light. Fondled one for the first time yesterday, it was instant lust even though I play mostly bass these days.

The sparkle finish isn't for everyone, however.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what's out there currently, apart from custom orders to Warmoth, or similar. I have a V-type profile on the neck of my pre-war Kalamazoo acoustic, and I have to say it is very comfortable for barre-chording. The V snuggles up in the little web between one's index finger and thumb, such that you don't have to use muscle tension to compensate for what is normally a gap between hand and neck. So if you haven't tried one yet, I think you might like it a lot.
Funny,my old Japanese acoustic has a nice V shape to it,that's what makes me think I'd like to check out others,

Washburn A series have extreme V neck. They are quite rare, but I see one on Kijiji
1982 Washburn A15 $450 obo | Guitars | Oshawa / Durham Region | Kijiji

For fender stuff you got all the answers.

Don't give up. In spite of the pain - playing will be good exercise.
I don't gig anymore and even cowboy chords are painful,it's very frustrating when you can't even get through a 3 minute John Prine tune
I took about 10 years off (from age 25-35) mostly due to hand pain,so I've kinda been through this before.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,I'll check out what I can find .

·
Registered
917 Posts
‘57 Reissue hot rod Strat. Also, Fender issued a Deluxe Strat around 2006 that had the soft V but they are not that common.

P

·
0 Posts
Funny,my old Japanese acoustic has a nice V shape to it,that's what makes me think I'd like to check out others,

I don't gig anymore and even cowboy chords are painful,it's very frustrating when you can't even get through a 3 minute John Prine tune
I took about 10 years off (from age 25-35) mostly due to hand pain,so I've kinda been through this before.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,I'll check out what I can find .
Try a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky Electric 8 to 38 strings. The will work and offer very little resistance.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky Electric 8 to 38 strings. The will work and offer very little resistance.
The issue isn't string tension or size,I have 11's on one guitar,9's one another, and 10's on several.
Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Fender Jimmy Vaughan Tex-Mex strat has one of the nicest V-necks I've played.
I have one, my favourite neck for an electric.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts