The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PA with 400W a side into 2 passive speakers. If I were to add 2 more powered speakers, how would that work? Would the power of the board also drive these speakers, or just be sending signal to them since they have their own power?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yes, that's right. The powered speakers will take a line level signal not an speaker level signal. I'm not sure if anyone out there is making powered speakers that will take a speaker level signal, but it doesn't sound like a good idea anyhow.

WIth two seperate (different) sets of speakers you may want to add an additional EQ if the speakers sound totally different. In most cases you can get by with one as long as you are not punishing a set or the listeners.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Yes, that's right. The powered speakers will take a line level signal not an speaker level signal. I'm not sure if anyone out there is making powered speakers that will take a speaker level signal, but it doesn't sound like a good idea anyhow.

WIth two seperate (different) sets of speakers you may want to add an additional EQ if the speakers sound totally different. In most cases you can get by with one as long as you are not punishing a set or the listeners.

The powered Yorkville subs can accept either a line signal or a speaker level signal.

I send a line signal to them myself.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Isn't there a switch on the input to the powered sub? One that flips between line/speaker level?

And I think that there is a speaker "out" jack on the sub too, so you can patch up to the full range speakers.
Yes there is, but I don't know if that bypasses the onboard power amp or just converts the signal in some way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts