The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm currently having fun with stacking a Splawn 412 with a Splawn 212. My initial thinking was being as the 412 is 16 ohm's and the 212 is 8 ohm's, I'll plug them into the head at 4 ohm's for safe matching, as to my math the ohm's for them together is 6.5. I'm just looking to see if my thinking is correct, so I'm not potentially risking any of my gear, because I hadn't considered the fact that cabs can be wired differently and I don't know if mixing certain wiring styles creates a multiplication as opposed to division.
Thanks for any and all help and advice!!

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
You math is a little out. Lucky for you as your load wired in parallel will be 5.33 ohms* so closer to 4 than you thought. Yes, that's how I'd run it as well.

* R = 1 / (1/16 + 1/8)

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Just remember that the power handling per speaker will not be balanced so they will not be equal loudness.
You have a 16ohm load in parallel with and 8 ohm load, the 8 ohm load will get the bulk of the power. (P=Esquared/R), in this case the E will be constant to both cabs. (the 8 ohm cab will always get double the power the 16 ohm cab gets when they are in parallel)
Worse still, the 8 ohm load has only 2 speakers in it. So that 8 ohm cab will get more than 1/2 the total power which will then be shared between the 2 twelves in it.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Just remember that the power handling per speaker will not be balanced so they will not be equal loudness.
You have a 16ohm load in parallel with and 8 ohm load, the 8 ohm load will get the bulk of the power. (P=Esquared/R), in this case the E will be constant to both cabs. (the 8 ohm cab will always get double the power the 16 ohm cab gets when they are in parallel)
Worse still, the 8 ohm load has only 2 speakers in it. So that 8 ohm cab will get more than 1/2 the total power which will then be shared between the 2 twelves in it.
Very good point, sir. Especially considering the OP is a SunnO))) fan, and I believe they celebrate loudness. Go easy on it, @danielSunn0))) , that 212 will be taking about 66% of the total power, so each speaker in that cab will be dissipating the same amount of power as the whole 412 cab will (about 33% of total power).

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be too much problem as Splawn uses 50watt/16ohm speakers n their Small Block entry level 212. I'm assuming that's the one you have.
Unless the amp is extremely high powered, the two cabs combined should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts