The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with a looper but am wondering if anyone has tried this.
I'm thinking in a trio situation of laying down a rhythm track and then playing a solo over it.
Can the recorded loop be started easily in time with the drummer?

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
So long as you practice you'll be fine. Theres many artists who use live looping. I think theres a reverb article on it.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Look up my buddy jean paul de roover. Dude's a loop beast.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lots using it. From local pub guys to the late Chris Cornell and that chubby red headed English guy whose name I can never remember.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Definitely timing and practice. A buddy of mine does it seamlessly with drum machines, Bass, guitar and vocals using a mixer. He even had a keyboard involved at one point on top of all that. Pretty much like that video above actually. It's crazy cool when you can do it really well.

·
Administrator
424 Posts
Some will laugh, but the best looping musicians I have seen have been on cruise ships. Rythym, fills, lead, percussion, harmonica, beat boxing... amazing stuff. Takes a talented solo artist to set up a PA, a mic, a looper, and a guitar in front of a few dozen people and be perfect for an hour set.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen plenty of solo artists using loopers, but have yet to see one in a band context.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I've only used mine to queue certain effects like the air raid siren at the beginning of War Pigs. I'd imagine if you were to use it in a band setting for anything rhythmic everyone would have to have impeccable timing.

Reactions: JBFairthorne

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
I saw Dany Michel live a few years back at the Black Sheep doing his looper thing.
Here he is doing “Billie Jean”

1 - 18 of 18 Posts