The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that you can use a simple foot switch in one of the inputs of a Dr. Z amp, and that it will have a 6 db increase/decrease, as if you physically chose to plug into the hi or low input.

I took the cheap foot switch from my Fender B Jr. and gave it a try. It works. I need to put that into use.

I tried it with the footswitch from my Mesa Mini Rec, and it did not work.

I tried the B Jr. foot switch in my 1976 YGM3 low input, and it also switches from hi to low.

I learned something today that likely some of you already know, but I thought I would share.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
I think it was Brent, bnads that first told me about that.

Are you a member of Ztalk? There's lots of info there if you're not.
Home | Z-Talk

Which amp do you have? I have a Maz 8 and a Carmen Ghia.
I had the Jumior intially and a Mini z along the way too.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an April 2012, Maz18R. That I have owned about 4 years now. It is an extremely loud 18 watts, that can sound like 50 watts, with the new American made JAN Sylvanias 6BQ5's that I recently installed. It seriously moves air. It is likely an amp that I can't easily replace. I got it for a great deal from L&M, in mint condition,

I am not a member of Z-Talk, but have done my share of reading there.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Nice. Z watts are loud, for whatever reason.

My Maz 8 easily keeps up to my YGL1 at 15 watts.
I moved my Junior because it was too much amp for my needs and I wasn't utilizing it to its potential.
Loud is right.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Seems to me an isolated A/B switch would be a better choice for having foot-switchable selection of the hi & lo inputs on an amp.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have A/B switches, but I am surprised how well a simple low dollar switch works with the two amps that I mentioned. There is no noise transferred from the switch operation, no extra cables, no battery or power supply required. It is as if the amps were designed to operate like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.