The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you put a capo on do you put it on behind the fret or on the fret? Depending which way you do it, what has been your experience?

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
behind the fret. actually a ways behind the fret to leave more room for my fat fingers. If it's too close to the fret, it gets in the way.
Glad to know I am not the only member here with that problem.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like to put it on just behind the fret. (approx 1/8") Either way, I always retune as I feel using a capo does take it out of tune a little and I retune again when I take it off.
Bingo! I was wondering if anyone ran into that. Maybe some others have as well.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I put my capo on behind the nut. How far behind depends on the capo. My shubb deluxe seems better about 1\8" behind the fret. My Elliott likes it best right behind the fret almost touching. Almost on top of the fret. When I use each of these capos this way it minimizes or eliminates retuning.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I use the spring loaded Kyser capos. I put it on so that the capo just catches the fret at the first string and angle it a bit so that the capo is about an 8th of an inch behind the fret at the sixth string. I find that by placing it that way it doesn't pull the strings out of tune so much, but leaves some room for my fretting hand.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
I use the spring loaded Kyser capos. I put it on so that the capo just catches the fret at the first string and angle it a bit so that the capo is about an 8th of an inch behind the fret at the sixth string. I find that by placing it that way it doesn't pull the strings out of tune so much, but leaves some room for my fretting hand.
I do the same with the same capo. Leaves me room to thumb over. I have long thumbs

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just behind the fret with just as much tension as needed if it is adjustable. If you put it farther, you have to put more tension, have to re-tune and on the long run, the frets get used with "v" marks.

Reactions: marcos

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I also retune when using a capo on a 12 string. The large 6th and 5th strings get stretched more than the octave strings and have to be brought down. Sometimes the 4th too.
I go further back than 1/8" from the fret. Probably 1/2 inch back

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.