The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was a post about buying a Boss CE2 on the cheap. So just out of curiosity i googled the CE2 for sale ads, and i found this one.

Boss CE-2 Chorus Guitar Effect Pedal | eBay

If I could get that kind of money for mine, I'd sell in a heartbeat. Mine's even in better condition.
Majority of the prices are half that though.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I know the feeling, I have an old DS1 and a DD3 from the early 80s that seem to go for crazy high prices. I doubt I'll be selling them though as they sound just enough different from the new ones.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Give it time. Some guy on a YouTube video or forum says it's the best thing ever and the prices shoot up. 6 months later they're back to old pricing.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
The magic and folly of the internet is that one is able to view buying and selling prices from around the world. The impact that has is that one can always find an item that sold for FAR more than it was worth or than the usual price it fetches, and can also find an item that sold for far LESS than it was worth. The end result is that sellers have unrealistic expectations, and so do buyers. I've seen CE-2s go for around $120 in the Ottawa area. That's about what they're worth. Pretty decent chorus, but doesn't really do anything that different from many of its competitors.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
It only takes one person and that guy on eBay will make his money. I had a silver screw CE2 with the box, all in excellent condition, and listed it locally without a bite for a month at a fairly high price. In time a dude showed up at my door, he drove from a ways out, and handed me cash without haggling. It doesn't matter what we think our stuff is worth, it matters what the market will pay.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,117 Posts
It only takes one person and that guy on eBay will make his money. I had a silver screw CE2 with the box, all in excellent condition, and listed it locally without a bite for a month at a fairly high price. In time a dude showed up at my door, he drove from a ways out, and handed me cash without haggling. It doesn't matter what we think our stuff is worth, it matters what the market will pay.
Yup, its all about fair market value... Us gear heads and our GAS are our own worst enemies sometimes artificially inflating the market.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at his other ads, the asking prices are absolutely ludicrous.

His CE-2 pictures have a few telltale signs that it should have a silver screw, although it has a black plastic screw. It's not original.

A mint condition, silver screw, long dash, CE-2 with box and manual probably couldn't fetch $400 USD.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The magic and folly of the internet is that one is able to view buying and selling prices from around the world. The impact that has is that one can always find an item that sold for FAR more than it was worth or than the usual price it fetches, and can also find an item that sold for far LESS than it was worth. The end result is that sellers have unrealistic expectations, and so do buyers. I've seen CE-2s go for around $120 in the Ottawa area. That's about what they're worth. Pretty decent chorus, but doesn't really do anything that different from many of its competitors.
Thanks for that. Although I've played for a lot of years, pedals were never a big forte of mine at all. My DS-1 was my first and really only pedal, except for the Boss TU-12H. Then I went digital until recently (couple of years ago, which is VERY recent in context). Some of the prices I see out there are just retarded IMO. People seem to be paying for memories past, and paying waaaaay to much.. Seems that a lot of MIJ stuff now is a big part of it. I suppose that's where the current market is though.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
It really can be a matter of finding the right buyer.
You need to find someone who wants that exact pedal to get more--but sometimes sellers are looking for that person & it's not you, so the prices do seem high.

It also, of course depends on how badly the seller wants to sell it

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It really can be a matter of finding the right buyer.
You need to find someone who wants that exact pedal to get more--but sometimes sellers are looking for that person & it's not you, so the prices do seem high.

It also, of course depends on how badly the seller wants to sell it
Makes sense in this context. Anyone wanna buy my fizzy MIJ "Black Label" DS-1 for $250?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts