The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the Trade Opinions thread by Jimmy_D, I will ask something similar.

I have a nice 2015 Indie Studio Thru Black I am trying to move and I am not sure I am posting it in the right places. Presently on several local Facebook general selling gear pages, local Kijiji, local CL and here.

Where would you go with this ?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Yeah, you have a beginner/mid-level instrument that doesn't have the same name recognition as other companies. It's not that it's a bad guitar necessarily (I think I've only ever played one) but you'll want a well-written ad with great pictures to get people to take notice. Of course, pricing it right counts for a lot as well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... that's not a common guitar (I've never heard of it) so I would think it's going to take longer to sell than say a MIM Fender Telecaster, etc.
That I realize and I'm OK with it. It's just that I might not be knocking at the right door.
Yeah, you have a beginner/mid-level instrument ...
You're right about it having no recognition, you are a prime proof of that. But how can you judge a guitar you know nothing about ? This is far from a beginner/intermediate guitar. It is really well crafted instrument, ebony fretboard, Grover tuners, great Alnico sounding pups, etc. Much better built than my PRS SE.

FS: - 2015 Indie Studio Thru Black (Formerly IPR Solid)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Its still a no name guitar. You would be lucky to get 200$ for it. I just bought a Cort Hiram Bullock for 300$. It has Sperzel tuners, Wilkinson birdge and roller nut, birds eye neck, Dunlop strap locks.
The market for "cheap" guitars is so over flooded that its extremely hard to sell any guitar these days for under 500$.
Go on Kijiji and type "electric guitar" and put a 100-300$ range and there will be hundreds.
People will buy Fenders and Epiphone's before an unknown brand.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I guess its a good thing for kids these days, there are a lot of really really nice guitars for 200-300$.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I agree. The brand name is a problem. I've played one. They are very nice guitars. The guy that was selling the one I tried has a few he's been trying to sell on the Vancouver CL and elsewhere for at least two years now. Your best bet is to trade it for whatever you can get then sell the trade. Make sure the trade is a recognised name brand. I've been able to get rid of a few off brand guitars by bundling them in a trade with another more desirable guitar. The other option is to keep it. It is a nice guitar. Accept that you will never get what it is worth and play the heck out of it.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If it's not selling for an extended period, there are a couple of possible problems.

1) The ad is written in such a way as to not grab people's attention and/or the pics may be adding to the problem
2) It is priced too high for the present market

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Grovers come on $400 guitars. Nice alnico pickups come on $400 guitars (agile did great in that regard). Those two things dont magically make a guitar worth more when they become standard on $350 instruments. Nice specs does not equal a great guitar, ever. Ask everyone who got Halo or Rotor guitars how that worked out. Even semi-custom shops drop the ball.

It can be a better guitar than a prs SE (which seem to be the bar for imports these days) - but you still have to find the buyer who wants that specific guitar anyways. If it doesnt come with a hardshell case then you're looking at less value there too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... but you still have to find the buyer who wants that specific guitar anyways.
That was exactly the point of my question. I am not discussing the value of that guitar, I was just trying to pick some brains on the best forums or discussion groups to post it.

Forget about it, I'll work it out by myself ...
Thanks anyways.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
That was exactly the point of my question. I am not discussing the value of that guitar, I was just trying to pick some brains on the best forums or discussion groups to post it.

Forget about it, I'll work it out by myself ...
Thanks anyways.
I think once you cover Kijiji/CL/Reverb and any forums you're on, you've kind of hit everything that's worth hitting. To go back to something I mentioned, you're going to want great descriptions, clips if you have them and really nice pictures (including imperfections) to pull a potential buyer in. It's worth seeing what @al3d is selling just for his photography haha.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well you lied in your ad for starters.
Construction and finish of a high end PRS.
Let's not kid ourselves here.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Your ad is quite good here at GC. I don't know what it is like on Kijiji and CL. If it is similar, I feel it can be improved. If you would like some help, PM me and I could give you a hand.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Have you ever set your hands on my Indie ?
Your comment smells like heavy duty cork sniffing. But why do I bother ... ?
Yes and I actually owned one when they first came out. They were really popular within the hardcore scene, almost everyone I knew owned one. There is a reason they are at a sub 1000 dollar price point and as a result that makes your claim asinine.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Construction and finish of a high end PRS
I wouldn`t call it a lie. I have seen a lot of lower end guitars that are literally as good as it gets. I mean, its a guitar. I have never understood folks spending several thousand on Booteek guitars. My 300$ Cort is as nice and as well built as any guitar made. Period.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts