The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the two guitars, 3 amps and 4 pedals I have, only the Danelectro EQ was bought new (Only $40), Anyone else bought most all of their gear used?

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I prefer to buy used whenever possible. I am finding that with the guitar explosion over the last 5-6 years that there are tons of barely used and pretty much brand new guitars out there for sale. There also seems to be the ones that people will buy and for whatever reason it did not work out for them and they are selling a year down the road. I think a lot of us have been there/done that. So like the community we have here is kinda good in the sense that the gear is moving all around the community at good prices. Makes it good for everyone.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
More and more, I'm on the lookout for "near new" gear. I've lost a lot of money buying new in the past only to have something not work out for me and have to take the hit selling it or trading it in. I find it particularely rewarding to stumble across the occasional gem in a pawnshop for a bargain price.

If you buy used you can almost always get your money back when you resell.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I can count one one hand the gear I've bought new. 90% of what I have for gear is used, mostly from Ebay so far. Great deals, even with the shipping costs. It's a great way to try things out. If you lose some money, usually it's only $10 or $20 bucks (depending on what you buy and how cautious of a buyer you are). One of my favorite guitars was bought on ebay for $300 - a mid 90's Epiphone ES-335. Great neck and hardware and boy does it sound nice. The last guitar that I bought new from a shop just hangs on my rack collecting dust. I'll probably lose too much $$ if I sell it now. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
The only piece of gear I own from amps all the way down to pedals that could be considered new is my Lil' Dawg Champster (Tweed clone) which was built for me. Everything else has been purchased used. I see no benefits to buying new.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Most of my guitars were "demos": they hung around the store until the dealer got tired of them and cleared them out...usually below used price! My only "new" amp is my Koch Studiotone, but I prefer new amps since it's really hard to tell what abuse that "vintage collectable" has seen. Most used amps I've bought have required a fair amount of "renewing" to get them reliable enough for playing out.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Same here, I always try to buy used, or at least a good discounted price if it's new.
On the other hand, I don't really care about 'collectability', I only care about 'playability'. Chips, scratches, rash on the back, none of that bothers me in the least.
I figure if a guitar is beat all to crap, it's probably a really good sounding and playing guitar.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I always buy guitars and amps used. Smaller things like pedals I'll try to get used, but if there are none around, I have no problem buying them new.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whats old is new

Every guitar that I own right now.....(I'm up to eight) were all bought used
My amps are used as well.............the only thing I bought new recently was a Korg AX3000G. I've owned lots of new guitars but was always a little paranoid about scratching them and tended to baby them. They have a bit of character when they are used and the bonus is tree's arent being harvested to build a new one.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I buy NEW for the warranty,etc. I've traded lots too. Used is OK too but you often get scratchy pots or nasty nicks in the neck,etc. ymmv. :rockon2:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have always 'stalked' my guitars, new or used. I find guitars that just feel right and I have to have them, but since most of the guitars that I like are Japanese Imports from the '70's and '80's the majority of them have been used. I have had a few that I paid way too much for as the owners did not want to part with them though.

I'm not the best player (I like to play 'wang' guitar and noodle aimlessly), so I find that I don't get comfortable playing new stuff in a music store.

I also had a few hand-me downs from my older brothers - most notably my old Kiss Army Guitar. Next time I go home I'll have to have a look around for that one, it might actually be a collectors item by now.

I have, on one occasion, snapped up a really good deal on a used strat with EMG pickups (1988 or there abouts). I walked into the Musicstop in Dartmouth Nova Scotia to inquire about replacing the the EMG's and when I pulled the guitar out of the case, the guy behind the counter recognized the guitar as one being recently stolen from another customer. I honestly didn't know it was stolen, but still I have never felt like such a heal in my entire life.

Recently, I dumped all of my old guitars and now everything is new - except for my amp, which is old and well used. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
danbo said:
I buy NEW for the warranty,etc. I've traded lots too. Used is OK too but you often get scratchy pots or nasty nicks in the neck,etc. ymmv. :rockon2:
I have a 1968 Princeton Reverb I bought about a year ago. It required $60 to tune it up and it has had zero problems since. My buddy has had to have his Blues Jr. replaced 3 times in that period.

Personally I'd rather have something that was either built right in the first place. Or something that has had some decent upgrades done to it so I don't have to pay for them myself :) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I buy almost exclusively used. Be patient and there are always good deals. Patience is the key. (10 guitars and about 10 amps to attest to this) I have never lost money on anything I resold when I decided it wasn't for me. That's another advantage of shopping used. No depreciation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
mirthvader said:
That's another advantage of shopping used. No depreciation.
To an extent old Rack gear seems to drop like a Rock look at used ART, Digitech and similar equipment it seems to drop around a 100 or so every year. Soon people won't be able to give that stuff away. And then it will be worth a fortune because everyone will have thrown it away hahaha

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
546 Posts
The only new guitar I've bought was a Blues Bird. I liked it so I bought it.
It replaced an ES 345 so the money wasn't a problem.

Used is the way to go.

I'm going to be on the hunt for a Santa Cruz when i have some cash.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts