The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experienced in USB cables? Looking for personal experience upgrading USB cables to improve sound quality. I am experiencing buzzing, loud hissing when recording on my home studio. Will an expensive USB cable help out?
Thanks

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Anyone experienced in USB cables? Looking for personal experience upgrading USB cables to improve sound quality. I am experiencing buzzing, loud hissing when recording on my home studio. Will an expensive USB cable help out?
Thanks
No. Buzzing and hissing are not from the cable.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
You can try using ferrite beads to see if that helps. In some cases, it might reduce EMI. Some cables have them built-in.

Check every part of your signal chain and remove/swap out components to see if anything changes.

If that doesn't do anything, then you might want to look into your electrical situation. (Grounding issues etc.)

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Thanks
Which part of your recording rig uses the USB cable that you want to replace? Very hard to comment without knowing the specifics. Buzzing can be coming out from a lot of things.

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
You can try using ferrite beads to see if that helps. In some cases, it might reduce EMI. Some cables have them built-in.
No effect for digital. Even for analog, I've been throwing these things away for 30 years. Snake oil.

· Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which part of your recording rig uses the USB cable that you want to replace? Very hard to comment without knowing the specifics. Buzzing can be coming out from a lot of things.
Its in between my mixer and my I Mac buddy. I even tried another interface that i have (Yamaha) Same thing?

· Registered
278 Posts
A bad USB cable will cause data loss, which more often than not will cause things to stop working entirely. It won't cause buzzing, hum or hiss. That's coming from somewhere else.

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
All the bots are using Tapatalk?

Reactions: Mark Brown
1 - 17 of 17 Posts